Information

Lansing DE-388 - History

Lansing DE-388 - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Lansing
(DE-388): dp. 1,200; 1. 30G'; b. 36'7", dr. 8'7"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", ff 40mm, 10 20mm., 9 dcp., 2 dct.; 3 21
tt.; cl. Edsall)

Lansing (DE-388) was laid down 15 May 1943 by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex., launched 2 August 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Alberta L. Lansnig, widow of William H. Lansing; and commissioned 10 November 1943, Lt. Comdr. S. R.. Sands in command.

After shakedown, Lansing departed Norfolk 13 February 1944 on her first transatlantic cruise escorting convoy UJGS 33 bound to Casablanca, the first of eight voyages to north African ports protecting convoys loaded with vital war material. During Lansing's second cruise, a convoy ship a. s. Walden was damaged by a torpedo fired from a German submarine on 12 May.

Arriving Boston 12 June 1945 from her final tranatlantic missiOn, the destroyer escort prepared for service in the Pacific. She transited the Panama Canal 2 August and was en route to Pearl Harbor when she received news of the Japanese surrender. Lansing returned New York 26 September, and decommissioned at Green Cove Springs 25 April 1946, joining the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.

She was transferred to the Coast Guard in June 1952. Upon her return to the Navy in 1954 Lansing was converted to a radar picket escort ship and reclassified DER-388 21 October 1955. She was recommissioned 18 December 1956, Lt. G. N. DeBuer in command.

Lansing Joined the Pacific Barrier 2 June 1957 for operations out of Pearl Harbor as a radar picket. From 1957 until 1965 she made regular patrols, ready to provide early warning in the event of an enemy attack. Lansing participated in the atomic tests at Johnston Island in the summer of 1958 and again in the fall of 1962. She sailed on Far East cruises during 1961 and 1963 and engaged in search operations for a downed Air Force Globemaster in January 1964.

Arriving Bremerton, Wash., 22 February 1965, Lansing decommissioned there 21 May and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet.


USS Lansing (DE 388)

Decommissioned 25 April 1946.
Loaned to the United States Coast Guard and (re)commissioned by them as WDE-488 on 15 June 1952.
Returned to the U.S.N. and decommissioned 29 March 1954.
Reclassified as DER-388 on 21 October 1955.
Recommissioned 18 December 1956.
Decommissioned 21 May 1965.
Stricken 1 February 1974.
Sold 16 August 1974 and broken up for scrap.

Commands listed for USS Lansing (DE 388)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

CommanderFromTo
1Lcmdr Simon Raymond Sands, Jr., USCG10 Nov 19435 Jun 1944
2Lcmdr Richard Foster Rea, USCG5 Jun 194425 Jun 1945
3Stephen George Carkeek, Jr., USCG25 Jun 194525 Apr 1946

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Media links


Lansing DE-388 - History

Horace Jackson, who began as a welder and later became a Vice President at Thompson Pipe and Steel Company, Denver, says, "Finding welders and training welders during the war was one of our major challenges in building ships." Because the technique was so new, experienced welders were hard to come by, so shipyards had to train their own and "as soon as we trained a few good welders, the armed services would grab them after about six months and the training would start all over with new recruits." Annual employee turnover at some yards ran above 200%.

In arc welding, a worker first has to create a current between an electrode and the plates to be joined. This is called "striking an arc." The welder must keep the torch moving creating the weld is like squeezing a tube of caulking. Getting the hang of welding is difficult and, even with an abundance of training, new problems arose daily.

Cracks were an ongoing problem. A crack can't jump across a rivet from one plate to another, but if a crack appears in a welded configuration, it can go anywhere because the ship is all in one piece. By 1942, cracks in welded merchant vessels and some warships appeared to be a major problem. Blame went in every direction and shipyard inspections and training were improved. Only later did the Navy realize the main cause of the cracking problem was the steel itself, so the alloys were changed.

The Navy required X-ray analysis and microscopic inspection of all welded steam pipe joints to find cracks, but there was no X-ray equipment in some localities, including the Great Lakes region. "In an old copy of Welding Encyclopedia by Ted Jefferson, we found a description of a possible solution to the problem," Blodgett remembers. "It was called the Whiting Test. A test weld with an intentional hairline crack became the work piece. We then applied 3-in-1 penetrating oil to the weld. Adding powdered carpenter's chalk mixed with carbon tetrachloride (Pyrene) from our fire extinguisher created a volatile solution which quickly dried. In a few moments, a fine, discolored line appeared on the chalk, indicating the crack below." The Navy bought the idea.

Thereafter, all high-pressure steam piping inspections followed the procedure. Still, the advantages of welding were enormous. Sometimes, multiple cranes, each capable of lifting ten tons, would be used in tandem to hoist fabricated deck superstructures, equipment and weapons onto and into the cavernous openings in the hull, to be welded together. As the workers learned their jobs, building times decreased the first DE took six months, but before long they were being constructed in a matter of weeks. Competition between yards and cash awards fueled the increases in efficiency.

In an unusual display of ingenuity, Defoe Shipbuilding in Bay City, MI, decided to try building ships upside down, from the deck up to the keel. Bill Defoe, son of the founder, says, "Since it was easier and faster to weld downwards, we saved many man hours of work and our workmanship greatly improved. The process virtually eliminated 90% of all overhead welding."

As a platform for the construction, a cradle had to be devised to match the exact shape of the ship's main deck. Once the deck was laid down, frames and bulkheads affixed to it appeared bottom-side up. The complete bottom section of the vessel, including keel, floors and from four to six strakes (flat steel support sheets) of shell plating, was dropped into position on top of the frames and bulkheads. The remaining shell plating added shape and form to the hull. With the vessel upside down, all the machinery that normally hangs from the underside of the deck was easily positioned.

The erection sequence for hull steel also made it possible to eliminate most of the conventional shipbuilding scaffolding. On completion of the hull section, two semicircular steel wheels were clamped around the hull and the cradle was dropped out of the way, leaving the hull entirely supported by them. Cables thrown around the vessel in opposite directions allowed a steam crane, pulling on one cable and holding back on the other, to roll the hull into an upright position. The whole process took no more than two and one-half minutes. Once the hull was upright, cranes would then drop additional machinery in place and install the prefabricated deckhouses.

Most yards, however, built their DEs the conventional way, from the keel up. A visit to any yard would present a similar picture: tangles of electrical cables, compressed air lines, oxygen and acetylene hoses, ropes, rigging, huge cranes and scaffolding. Amid a cacophony of clanking metal, chipping hammers and the groans of giant cranes, workers were at their tasks 24 hours a day, seven days a week, illuminated by the showers of blue sparks that swarmed like fireflies around the welders.

Compared with solving all the welding problems, launching the ships and delivering them to naval ports was almost trivial. Usually, ships are launched directly into port, but DEs built at the inland yards of the Great Lakes region were launched into the lakes, then towed to Chicago. Sometimes, there was so little room at the yards they had to be launched sideways. In one case, a ship was launched without her engines installed. Top heavy, she almost rolled over and the mistake was never repeated. In Chicago, the ships' masts and propellers were stowed on deck and they were fitted with special pontoon boats to reduce their draft. They were then floated through canals and rivers to the Mississippi and down to the Gulf of Mexico. Amazingly, it all worked.

East Coast shipyards also added their muscle to the DE program. Toward the end of production, Bethlehem Steel's yard in Hingham, Massachusetts, was able to deliver a DE in just 25 days. By contrast, the construction time for a fleet destroyer before the war had been eight to ten months. Competition between shipyards swelled as new records were made and broken. Hingham's claims to fame include launching one DE in four and one-half days, ”a world record for building a major war vessel”, delivering ten DEs in one month and laying 16 keels in one day. The overall safety and efficiency of these ships guaranteed the future of welding. The large numbers of identical vessels permitted economies of scale in the provision of assembly jigs, the adoption of repeatable procedures and material-supply planning.

See photos of DE construction

The destroyer escorts finally plunged, lurched and rolled into the Battle of the Atlantic in the fall of 1943, each about 300 feet long and 35 feet across, capable of a top speed of 20-24 knots and carrying 216 officers and men in cramped, no-nonsense quarters. Even though U-boats by then had passed the zenith of their destructive power, they still represented a significant threat. The DEs quickly racked up impressive records in terms of both Allied ships protected and German U-boats sunk. They also won a large share of the glory in the 4 June 1944 capture of U-505, the first taking of an enemy ship by the US Navy since the War of 1812.

The DE was built in less than half the time of a fleet destroyer and at a third of the cost. She was part of a massive effort in which the number of ship ways climbed from 130 to 567 at nearly 80 commercial shipyards. The battles of WWII were won as much on the assembly line as on the firing line.

As the Battle of the Atlantic wound down, DEs made further history in the Pacific as transports, antisubmarine warfare platforms, radar picket ships and screens for kamikaze attacks. USS ENGLAND (DE-635) destroyed six subs in 12 days during May 1944. The US produced 563 DEs between 1942 and 1945. Of those, 561 saw service before the war's end.

The ships lost their usefulness soon after the war, when a new generation of fast submarines appeared who could outrun them. Their ranks were gradually reduced by sale to foreign governments, use as cannon fodder in weapons tests or simply trips to the scrap heap, where bits and pieces were melted into steel soup for use elsewhere.

Today, only two remain [in the US]: SLATER (DE-766), currently undergoing painstaking restoration as a floating museum in Albany, NY, and STEWART
(DE-238), landlocked and deteriorating at Seawolf Park in Galveston, TX. But their legacy and that of the men and women who built them, lives on. The little ships that could, did.

John R. Ward is a writer and consultant in Albuquerque, NM.

Note: War losses came to 22 and another 12 badly damaged. DEs were instrumental in sinking 64 U-boats as well as 30 Japanese submarines.

Article submitted to web site by Anne McCarthy.

For the history of an individual ship, visit these websites:
Destroyer Escort Library and NavSource Online


Greater Lansing History

Throughout its history, Michigan&aposs capital city has hosted a diverse population of forward-thinking innovators.

The area that is now Lansing was originally surveyed in 1825 in what was then dense forest. There would be no roads to this area for decades to come.

Lansing&aposs Origins

In the winter of 1835 and early 1836, two brothers from New York plotted the area now known as REO Town just south of downtown Lansing and named it "Biddle City." All of this land lay in a floodplain and was underwater during the majority of the year. Regardless, the brothers went back to New York, specifically Lansing, New York, to sell plots for the town that did not exist. They told the residents of Lansing, New York that this new "city" had an area of 65 blocks, contained a church and also a public and academic square. A group of 16 men bought plots in the nonexistent city and, upon reaching the area later that year, found they had been scammed. Many in the group too disappointed to stay ended up settling around what is now metropolitan Lansing. Those who stayed quickly renamed the area "Lansing Township" in honor of their home village in New York.

The sleepy settlement of fewer than 20 people would remain dormant until the winter of 1847, when the state constitution required that the capital be moved from Detroit to a more centralized and safer location in the interior of the state. Many were concerned about Detroit&aposs close proximity to British-controlled Canada, which had captured Detroit in the War of 1812. The United States had recaptured the city in 1813, but these events led to the dire need to have the center of government relocated away from hostile British Territory. In addition, there was also concern with Detroit&aposs strong influence over Michigan politics, being the largest city in the state as well as the capital city.

Becoming the Capital City

During the multi-day session to determine a new location for the state capital, many cities, including Ann Arbor, Marshall and Jackson, lobbied hard to win this designation. Unable to publicly reach a consensus due to constant political wrangling, the Michigan House of Representatives privately chose the Township of Lansing out of frustration. When announced, many present openly laughed that such an insignificant settlement was now the capital city of Michigan. Two months later, Governor William L. Greenly signed into law the act of the legislature, officially making Lansing Township the state capital.

With the announcement that Lansing Township had been made the capital, the small village quickly transformed into the seat of state government. The legislature gave the settlement the temporary name of the "Town of Michigan." In April 1848, the legislature then gave the settlement the name of "Lansing." Within months after it became the capital city, individual settlements began to develop along three key points along the Grand River in the township.

"Lower Village/Town," where present-day Old Town stands, was the oldest of the three villages. It was home to the first house built in Lansing in 1843 by pioneer James Seymour and his family. Lower Town began to develop in 1847 with the completion of the Franklin Avenue (now Grand River Avenue) covered bridge over the Grand River.*

"Upper Village/Town," where present-day REO Town stands, was at the confluence of the Grand River and the Red Cedar River. It began to take off in 1847, when the Main Street Bridge was constructed over the Grand River. This village&aposs focal point was the Benton House, a 4-story hotel which opened in 1848. It was the first brick building in Lansing and was later razed in 1900.

"Middle Village/Town," where downtown Lansing now stands, was the last of the three villages to develop in 1848 with the completion of the Michigan Avenue bridge across the Grand River and the completion of the temporary State Capitol Building. The first Capitol sat where Cooley Law School stands today on Capitol Avenue between Allegan and Washtenaw Streets. The post office was relocated to the village in 1851. This area would grow to become larger than the other two villages up and down river. For a brief time, the combined villages were referred to as "Michigan" but was officially named Lansing in 1848.

In 1859, the settlement, having grown to nearly 3,000 and encompassing about seven square miles (18 km²) in area, was incorporated as a city. The boundaries of the original city were Douglas Avenue to the north, Wood and Regent Streets to the east, Mount Hope Avenue to the south, and Jenison Avenue to the west. These boundaries would remain unchanged until 1916. Lansing began to grow steadily over the next two decades, with the completion of the railroads through the city, a plank road and the completion of the current State Capitol in 1878.

Auto Heritage

Most of what is known as Lansing today is the direct result of the city becoming an industrial powerhouse, which began with the founding of Olds Motor Vehicle Company in August, 1897. The company went through many changes, including a buyout, between its founding and 1905 when founder Ransom E. Olds started his REO Motor Car Company, which would last in Lansing for another 70 years. Olds would be joined by the less successful Clarkmobile around 1903. Over the next decades, the city would see itself transformed into a major American industrial center for the manufacturing of automobiles and automobile parts, among other industries. The city continued to grow in area. By 1956, the city had grown to 15 square miles (39 km²), and doubled in size over the next decade to its current size of roughly 33 square miles (85 km²).

Today, the city&aposs economy is now diversified among government service, health care, manufacturing, insurance, banking and education.


John Biringer, Gunmaker

As pioneers made their way into Kansas Territory, there was an immediate need for firearms and gunsmiths. They were in need of reliable firearms for not only hunting, but for their protection as well. During the years of Bleeding Kansas the atmosphere on the streets of Leavenworth was tense and violence would erupt easily as different points of view would clash over the question of Kansas as a Free State.

John Biringer was one of those early day pioneers who brought his trade and craft of making firearms to Leavenworth, a trade he would pass along to his sons. He was part of the ‘Free Staters” who came to Leavenworth on steamboats and wagons from Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Western Ohio, according to H. Miles Moore, Early History of Leavenworth City and County.

John Biringer was born in Prussia in 1830 and immigrated to the United States in 1847 after he had completed an apprenticeship in gun making, according to the U.S. Census. He arrived in Philadelphia, Pa where he went to work for George Tryon and his son Edward. It is here that he learns to make the Pennsylvania rifle, which was a long rifle characterized by an unusually long barrel, according to Henry J. Kauffman, The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle. In those days an apprentice would sometimes work for credit and not money. “When I came West, I brough about 300 guns with me and with these I started in business in Leavenworth,” said Biringer in a newspaper interview for the Leavenworth Times.

Biringer would marry German born Fredricka Messig in 1854, according to the Kansas Historical Society, Cool Things – Gunsmithing Tools. Their first two children were born in Pennsylvania, George in 1856 and Josephine in 1858. He reads in the newspapers of the day about the opportunities to be had in the West. One particular article spoke of Leavenworth and how the soldiers at Fort Leavenworth were being outfitted to go to Utah and put down the trouble in Utah, according to the Leavenworth Times. Within four years they relocate to Leavenworth which is still part of Kansas Territory where Biringer opens up his own gunsmith shop. In the U.S. City Directory of 1862 he is located at 109 Shawnee, which would be 109 lots from the river in the old numbering system. The middle of the block on the south side between Fourth and Fifth Streets would be today’s location. He was one of four gunsmiths according to the directory.

In 1877, John Biringer would sit before the camera of A.C. Nichols and have his ambroytype made along with his son George who was celebrating his 21 st year.

George Biringer age 21, photo by A.C. Nichols

George had learned the trade of gunsmithing at an early age from his father, who by that time was operating out of 601 Shawnee. In the 1874 Leavenworth City Directory, George is listed as a gunsmith working for J. Biringer, Gun and Locksmith. He was 17 years old.

It was not all work and no play as George grew up, he was the oldest of 12 in the Biringer Family and as such he had more liberties.

One summer night in August of 1878, while out on the town with his friends Louis Fieger, George Opel, and Julius Miller, all gainfully employed as cigar makers at Simmons and Staiger, they made their rounds through downtown Leavenworth serenading second floor residence along the way at 2:30 in the morning. One of those establishments was still open and operating in the wee hours of the morning, The Leavenworth Times. According to the editor, the Times office was besieged by these gentlemen who were on a serenading tour. The instruments consisted of a violin, piccolo, guitar and harmonica, and “the melodious airs rendered by them helped to close the labors of the week as pleasantly as a beautiful dream”, The Times, August 8, 1878.

In the early 1880’s Biringer married Louise Goenner of Leavenworth. Her father was William Goenner, a cigar maker at Simmons and Staiger, a place that was all too familiar to Biringer.

Their first child, William P. was born in 1883 and their second, George W., in 1888 and neither of them would be taught the trade of gunsmithing.

June 12, 1897 the residence of Col. Andrew Jackson Smith, Governor of the Western Branch of the Soldiers Home, was dynamited in an assassination attempt on Gov. Smith’s life, according to The Times. The amount of explosives used was great for it was reported that residents of the city had their houses trembling from the shock of it as if the earth was moving below them. The full force of the explosion tore away one side of the house. Fortunately no one was killed, but Mrs. Smith did sustain some injuries.

The explosives used in the explosion had come from John Biringer’s gun shop, according to The Times. Several nights before the explosion, Biringers powder magazine had been robbed and it was believed that the robber was the one who caused the explosion.


NavWeaps Forums

1864 - The 178-register ton Confederate sidewheel paddle steamer Benigo, a blockade runner, ran aground on the coast of North Carolina west of Lockwood Folly Inlet. Her crew set fire to her and abandoned her. Screw steamer USS Fahkee discovered her aground, partially burned, and with 7 feet (2.1 meters) of water in her hold the next day. She was destroyed by gunfire by Fahkee, sidewheel paddle steamer USS Fort Jackson, and screw steamers USS Daylight, USS Iron Age, and USS Montgomery.

1865 – The British schooner Celia, a blockade runner carrying a cargo of turpentine, was shelled, then boarded by a landing party from gunboat USS Nipsic and burned at Murrell's Inlet on the coast of South Carolina.

1944 - "Hornick, Iowa, Jan. 2 (AP) - Nine crew members of a Flying Fortress based at Sioux City, were killed when the plane crashed and burned on a farm near here late today. Persons within a radius of several miles said they saw the plane explode and crash." B-17F-40-VE, 42-6013, of the 393d CCTS, piloted by Frank R. Hilford, appears to be the airframe involved.

1944 - "Sacramento, Calif., Jan. 2 (AP) - Thirteen army flyers were killed today when a B-17 Flying Fortress, headed for Los Angeles from McChord Field, Tacoma, Wash., exploded in flight over McClellan field and plunged 3000 feet to the ground in flames. Thousands of Sacramentans, startled by a terrific explosion, looked skyward and saw the crippled and burning four-motored bomber emerge from the overcast sky and fall. Only one member of the plane's crew of 14 escaped the flaming wreckage, parachuting to safety before the crash. He was Maj. James H. Wergen of Kingman Field, Ariz., the bomber's home base. The plane went to pieces in the air as it fell, scattering a wingtip, one of its motors and other parts over a vast area. McClellan Field authorities said medical officers were attempting to identify the dead, but that names would be withheld pending notification of next of kin." The B-17G was piloted by Frederick M. Klopfenstein.

1948 - A North American P-51D-25-NT Mustang, 45-11535 crashes 40 miles N of Roswell, New Mexico, shortly after noon this date, killing the pilot. Maj. Charles Beck, public information officer at Roswell Army Airfield, said that the plane's home base had not been determined.

1964 - A U.S. Air Force Douglas C-124C Globemaster II, 52-968, of the 28th Air Transport Squadron, en route from Tachikawa Air Force Base near Tokyo, Japan, to Hickam Air Force Base, Honolulu, Hawaii with nine on board and 11 tons of cargo, disappears over the Pacific Ocean after making a fuel stop at Wake Island. Due at Hickam at 0539 hrs. EST, the Globemaster II is last heard from at 0159 hrs. EST. Fuel exhaustion would have been at 1000 hrs. EST and the aircraft is presumed down at sea. An automatic SOS signal is detected emanating from an aircraft-type radio with a constant carrier frequency of 4728 kHz, issuing an automatically keyed distress message, and a dozen aircraft of the Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard are sent to search from Hickam and from Guam, Midway, and Johnston Island.
Poor weather and limited visibility hampers search efforts. The U.S. Navy's USS Lansing (DE-388) also participates in the search. The eight missing Air Force crew and one U.S. Navy man escorting a body back to the U. S. are officially declared dead on 21 January. This was the first C-124 accident since May 1962.

1968 - Col. Henry Brown and Lt. Col. Joe B. Jordan became the first U.S. Air Force pilots to use a General Dynamics F-111A's emergency escape module when their aircraft, 65-5701, c/n A1-19, of the Air Force Test Center, crashed near Edwards Air Force Base, California, due to a weapons bay fire.

1975 - U.S. Navy Grumman F-14A-70-GR Tomcat, BuNo 158982, 'NK107', of VF-1, the first of the Pacific Fleet F-14 squadrons to form, deployed aboard USS Enterprise (CVN-65), crashes into the sea off Cubi Point, Philippines, after an inflight engine explosion. Both crew members successfully eject. This is one of two squadron losses during the 1974–75 deployment that signaled the fan-blade containment problems which plagued early versions of the TF30 turbofan engine.

1976 - USMC McDonnell-Douglas F-4J Phantom II, BuNo 155506, of VMFA-333, crashes on approach to NAS Oceana, Virginia. Both crew eject safely.

1986 - A McDonnell Douglas F-15C-28-MC Eagle (s/n 80-0037 c/n 0692/C186) from the 57th FIS based at NAS Keflavik, Iceland, crashed into the northern Atlantic Ocean off the southeastern coast of Iceland. The pilot, Capt Steve Nelson, was killed when his aircraft struck the water at high speed after failing to safely complete a "split-S" maneuver during a low-altitude step-down training (LASDT) sortie. The instructor had planned the maneuver based on his own previous experience in training weapons school students at Nellis AFB in comparatively lightweight F-15As however, the F-15C, with nearly full Conformal Fuel Tanks, was much heavier and could not physically complete the split-S despite starting the maneuver at 10,000'. The aircraft was never recovered.

2004 - OH-58D Kiowa 90-0370 from 1–82 Aviation Brigade, 1–17 Cavalry Regiment shot down near Fallujah, killing a pilot.

Jan 03, 2019 #1322 2019-01-03T02:24

1943 - Boeing B-17F-27-BO Flying Fortress, 41-24620, c/n 3305, "snap! crackle! pop!", 'PU-O', of the 360th Bomb Squadron, 303 rd Bomb Group, on daylight raid over Saint-Nazaire, France, loses wing due to flak, goes into spiral. Ball turret gunner Alan Eugene Magee (13 January 1919 – 20 December 2003), though suffering 27 shrapnel wounds, bails out (or is thrown from wreckage) without his chute at

20,000 feet (6,100 m), loses consciousness due to altitude, freefall plunges through glass roof of the Gare de Saint-Nazaire and is found alive but with serious injuries on floor of depo. He’s saved by German medical care, spends rest of war in prison camp. On 3 January 1993, the people of St. Nazaire honored Magee and the crew of his bomber by erecting a 6-foot-tall (1.8 m) memorial to them.

1944 - CDR. Frank A. Erickson, U.S. Coast Guard, receives an official commendation after he pilots a Sikorsky HNS-1 helicopter with two cases of blood plasma lashed to its floats from New York City to Sandy Hook, New Jersey, for treatment of U.S. Navy crewmen from USS Turner, which had exploded, burned, and sunk off New York harbor, this date. In this heroic deed, in violent winds and snow that grounded all other aircraft, Erickson became the first pilot in the world to fly a helicopter under such conditions as well as making the first "lifesaving flight" ever performed by a "chopper". Without the plasma, many of the severely injured survivors of the Turner would have died.

1944 - The crash of Cessna AT-17B Bobcat, 42-38897, c/n 3106, of the 986th SEFTS, Douglas Army Airfield, Arizona, kills Aviation Cadets Loris Gale, 20, of Walla Walla, Washington, and James C. Gallagher, 20, of Lima, Ohio. The twin-engined trainer came down three miles S of the Cochise Ranger Station, Arizona, said the Douglas Field public relations officer.

1954 - A U.S. Air Force Curtiss C-46 Commando attempting a forced landing in Southern Japan hits trees, killing all four crew.

1954 - A Douglas B-26C Invader crashes and explodes in heavily wooded mountains 9 miles NE of Carrizozo, New Mexico, after two crew bail out Sunday night. Col. Frank E. Sharp, commander of Holloman AFB, New Mexico, states that the men were found Monday "in good physical condition." They received only minor bruises and scratches despite jumping into pitch darkness over the rugged Sacramento Mountain range. They were identified as Capt. Frederick M. Werth, Bristol, Virginia, and S/Sgt. Willie E. Woods, of Sunflower, Mississippi. B-26C-35-DT Invader, 44-35429, is written off.

1966 - Third (of five) Ling-Temco-Vought XC-142As, 62-5923, suffers major landing gear and fuselage damage during landing on 14th Cat II flight at Edwards Air Force Base, California, having logged only 14:12 hrs. Cat II flight time. Air Force decides to use wing from this airframe to repair XC-142A No. 2, 62–5922, which suffers major damage on 19 October 1965, other useful items are salvaged from airframe no. 3, and the cannibalized fuselage is scrapped in the summer of 1966.

1989 - Oregon Air National Guard McDonnell-Douglas F-4C Phantom II, 63-7626 (?), of 123rd FIS/Oregon ANG from Portland, Oregon, crashes on a training mission

30 miles off Tillamook Bay, injuring both crew, who were plucked from the Pacific Ocean, authorities said.

2006 - A United States Army Sikorsky Aircraft UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crashes near Tal Afar, Ninawa Governorate, Iraq. The aircraft, part of a two-Black Hawk helicopter team, was travelling between military bases when the accident occurred, resulting in 12 fatalities.

Jan 04, 2019 #1323 2019-01-04T02:16

1865 - Knickerbocker was a Union side-wheel steamer of 858 tons, built in 1843 at New York City. She was wrecked in a storm off the Southern coast of Long Island, NY., near Mastic Beach in about 9 feet of water. Several Confederate attacks resulted in the burning of the ship on February 15th, 1865.

1865 - While trying to run the Union blockade and enter Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, the 529-gross ton British screw steamer Rattlesnake was forced aground on the coast of South Carolina just east of Breach Inlet by armed schooner USS Potomska and gunboat USS Wamsutta. She was burned and abandoned.

1866 – Tug USS Narcissus ran aground 1-1/2 miles west of Egmont Key off Tampa Bay, FL., during one of the severe winter storms during a cold front moving through the area. When the cold seawater came in contact with the hot steam boiler, she exploded, killing the entire crew of 29. Federal troops from nearby Egmont Key salvaged the ship's guns, but no signs of survivors were ever found.

1944 - Boeing B-17G-10-BO Flying Fortress, 42-31257, flying in formation with other B-17s, catches fire near Alamo, Nevada, while en route between Indian Springs Army Airfield and Las Vegas Army Airfield, Nevada, and twelve of thirteen aboard bail out. One is killed when his chute fails to open in time, and one aboard the bomber dies in the crash 67 miles NNE of Las Vegas AAF. Other planes circled the spot where the plane went down and radioed the base news of the crash. "Eleven of their number were brought to the airfield hospital last night (5 January), suffering from minor injuries and exposure after having spent the intervening time in heavy snow on a high mountain plateau."

1949 - Douglas VC-47D Skytrain. 43-48405, c/n 25666/14221, crashes and burns in a night accident, coming down in mountainous terrain about eight miles NE of Colfax, California. The Placer County coroner said there are seven fatalities. The flight was believed to be between Reno and McClellan Air Force Base, California. The crash site is near the American River and highway U.S. 40.

1954 - A US Navy P2V-5 Neptune (BuNo 127752) of VP-2 departed NAS Iwakuni in Japan and headed toward the west coast of Korea. The flight continued north across the Korean DMZ, then along the North Korean coast to the coast of China before turning south. After reporting engine difficulties, the aircraft head towards the K-13 base at Suwan. The engine difficulties might have been a result of a hostile attack on the Neptune. The aircraft reached the vicinity of K-13 before crashing, possibly the result of an additional attack by a US Navy AD-4B Skyraider on night patrol. The crew of Jesse Beasley, Fredric Prael, Rex Claussen, Gordon Spicklemier, Lloyd Rensink, Bruce Berger, James Hand, Robert Archbold, Stanley Mulford and Paul Morelli were all killed.

1959 - Single-engine de Havilland Canada UC-1A Otter cargo aircraft, BuNo 144673, c/n 163, from VX-6, participating in Operation Deep Freeze IV, crashed during takeoff at Marble Point, Antarctica, about 50 miles from McMurdo Station. "As the aircraft departed the Marble Point runway it made a very steep left turn and the left wing hit a small knoll. The aircraft cart-wheeled and crashed." Lieutenant Harvey E. Gardner and Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Lawrence J. Farrell died. Joe Baugher lists crash date as 1 April 1959.

1960 - Three United States Army de Havilland Canada U-1A Otters, of the 329th Engineer Detachment, fly from Wheelus Air Base to Bengazi, Libya, but 55-2974 disappears over the Gulf of Sirte in the Mediterranean in a storm. Aircraft never found. Search suspended 8 January at 2030 hrs. One crew and nine passengers presumed dead. Lost are:
1st Lt. Walter Jefferson, Jr., pilot of the aircraft, Tulsa, OK.
2d Lt. Graydon W. Goss, Franklinville, NY.
Pfc Albert L. Callais, Plaquemine, LA.
Sp5 Donnald R. Fletcher, Salinas, CA.
Sp4 Henry Harvey, Bradenton, FL.
Sp4 George W. Hightower, Waskum, TX.
Pfc Stephen T. Novak, Massena, NY
Sp4 William C. Riley, North Adams, MA.
Sfc Kenneth E. Spaulding, The Bronx, NY.
Pfc Henry J. Weyer, Jr., Chicago., IL.

1961 - During Minimum Interval Takeoff (MITO) from Pease AFB, New Hampshire, Boeing B-47E Stratojet, 53-4244, of the 100th Bomb Wing, number 2 in a three-ship cell, loses control, crashes into trees, burns. Killed are aircraft commander, Capt. Thomas C. Weller, co-pilot 1st Lt. Ronald Chapo, navigator 1st Lt. J. A. Wether, and crew chief S/Sgt. Stephen J. Merva.

1964 - USAF Martin NRB-57D Canberra, 53-3973, of the Wright Air Development Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, suffers structural failure of both wings at 50,000 feet (15240 m), comes down in schoolyard at Dayton, Ohio, crew bails out. The U.S. Air Force subsequently grounds all W/RB-57D aircraft.

1989 - US Navy F-14A Tomcats, of VF-32, flown by Joseph Connelly (RIO Leo Enwright) and Hermon Cook (RIO Steven Collins), flying from the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), each shot down a Libyan MiG-23 Flogger over the Gulf of Sidra.

1989 - A female U.S. Navy airman of VA-42, was struck and killed by a Grumman A-6 Intruder being towed from a hangar at NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach, Virginia. The airman, whose name was withheld pending notification of family, was walking beside a wing of the attack bomber as it was being towed by a small tractor from the hangar to the flight-line, a Navy spokesman said.

Jan 05, 2019 #1324 2019-01-05T01:36

1949 - As five U.S. Navy Grumman F8F Bearcats make firing runs on a gunnery target sleeve towed by another aircraft, two fighters collide at 7,000 feet and plunge into the Pacific Ocean off San Francisco. Both pilots, Ens. Peter J. McHugh, of Alameda, and Lt. William R. Cecil, of Oakland, are feared lost.

1949 - A Douglas AD Skyraider, expected to return to NAS Alameda at 1150 hrs. after a routine two-hour flight, is declared missing shortly before 1400 hrs. when its fuel would be exhausted.

1949 – Test pilot Chuck Yeager performed the only ground take-off in a Bell X-1. With 50% fuel, he reached 23,000 feet (7,010 meters) and Mach 1.03.

1950 - A Boeing B-50A Superfortress, 46-021, c/n 15741 of the 3200th Proof Test Group out of Eglin AFB, crash lands in the Choctawhatchee Bay, northwest Florida, killing two of the 11 crew. Nine escape from the downed aircraft following the forced landing. The airframe settles in eight to ten feet of mud at a depth of 38 feet (12 m). Divers recover the body of flight engineer M/Sgt. Claude Dorman, 27, of Kingston, New Hampshire, from the nose of the bomber on Monday, 8 January. The body of S/Sgt. William Thomas Bell, 21, aerial photographer, who lived in Mayo, Florida, is recovered on Tuesday, 9 January, outside the plane from beneath the tail. The Eglin base public information officer identified the surviving crew as 1st Lt. Park R. Bidwell, instructor pilot 1st Lt. Vere Short, pilot 1st Lt. James S. Wigg, co-pilot Maj. William C. McLaughlin, bombardier and S/Sgt. Clifford J. Gallipo, M/Sgt. Alton Howard, M/Sgt. William J. Almand, T/Sgt. Samuel G. Broke, and Cpl. William F. Fitzpatrick, crewmen.

1955 - Two Boeing B-47E Stratojets of the 44th Bomb Wing from Lake Charles AFB, Louisiana, collide over the Gulf of Mexico during refuelling Wednesday night, causing one to crash and the other to limp home to base with damage, sans its observer who bailed out over the Gulf. Air-sea rescue teams began a search of the Gulf in an area some 30 miles SE of Cameron, Louisiana, on the Gulf coast. B-47E-5-DT, 52-029, is lost with all three crew. Observer who bailed out is never found. The pilot of the recovered bomber stated that the lost plane apparently smashed down on his aircraft from above, "leaving wheel tracks on the cabin before it spun off to crash in Gulf waters. Capt. Morris E. Shiver, 29, of Albany, Ga., said 'we never knew what hit us' as the two six-jet bombers crashed together Wednesday night about 30 miles southeast of Cameron, La. An armada of planes and ships searched Thursday for the four airmen missing after the crash. Three of them were aboard the B47 which plunged into the Gulf, while the fourth, 1st Lt. Matthew Gemery, of Lakewood, Ohio, an observer, could have returned on his limping plane had he waited another minute before ejecting himself. They identified Maj. Sterling T. Carroll, 33, of Port Arthur, Tex., as the commander of the plane that returned, and Shiver as the pilot. The other three missing airmen were Maj. Jean S. Pierson, of Danville, Ind., aircraft commander Capt. David O. Crump, of Albermarle, N.C. [sic], copilot, and father of six children, and 1st Lt. Rodney P. Egelston of Levelland, Tex., observer-bombardier."

1956 - Sole Piasecki YH-16A Turbo Transporter helicopter prototype, 50-1270, breaks up in flight at

1555 hrs. and crashes near Swedesboro, New Jersey, near the Delaware River, while returning to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from a test flight over New Jersey. The cause of the crash was later determined to be the aft slip ring, which carried flight data from the instrumented rotor blades to the data recorders in the cabin. The slip ring bearings seized, and the resultant torque load severed the instrumentation standpipe inside the aft rotor shaft. A segment of this steel standpipe tilted over and came into contact with the interior of the aluminum rotor shaft, scribing a deepening groove into it. The rotor shaft eventually failed in flight, which in turn led to the aft blades and forward blades desynchronizing and colliding. The aircraft was a total loss, the two test pilots, Harold Peterson and George Callaghan, were killed. This led to the cancellation not only of the YH-16, but also the planned sixty-nine-passenger YH-16B version.

1962 - Three crew killed in crash of U.S. Air Force Boeing B-47E Stratojet, AF Ser. No. 52-0615, of the 22d Bomb Wing, at March AFB, California. This would be the last fatal crash at that base until 19 October 1978. Pilot was Major Clarence Weldon Garrett.

1967 - Lockheed A-12, 60–6928, Article 125, lost during training/test flight. CIA pilot Walter Ray successfully ejects but is killed upon impact with terrain due to failed seat-separation sequence. The Air Force-issue seatbelt failed to release properly. The aircraft had run out of fuel for a variety of reasons.

1967 - Martin MGM-13 Mace, launched from Site A-15, Santa Rosa Island, Hurlburt Field, Florida, by the 4751st Air Defense Missile Squadron at

1021 hrs., fails to circle over Gulf of Mexico for test mission with two Eglin AFB McDonnell F-4 Phantom IIs, but heads south for Cuba. Third F-4 overtakes it, fires two test AAMs with limited success, then damages unarmed drone with cannon fire. Mace overflies western tip of Cuba before crashing in Caribbean 100 miles south of the island. International incident narrowly avoided. To forestall the possibility, the United States State Department asks the Swiss Ambassador in Havana to explain the circumstances of the wayward drone to the Cuban government. The Mace had been equipped with an "improved guidance system known as 'ASTRAN' which is considered unjammable." (This was apparently a typo for ATRAN – Automatic Terrain Recognition And Navigation terrain-matching radar navigation.)

1999 - A group of four Iraqi MiG-25s crossed the no-fly zones over Iraq and sparked a dogfight with two patrolling F-15Cs and two patrolling F-14Ds. A total of six missiles were fired at the MiGs, none of which hit. The MiGs then bugged out.

2011 – Former USS Kittiwake (ASR-13) was sunk as a reef off Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, in Marine Park.

Jan 07, 2019 #1325 2019-01-07T13:00

FY3wvwsZ0wT4IqpFOdq4sZhYV-3vYdlWvQuirux-xLKec7JJVCzqJP-kaDLUe-iWTbdWDICs6Dq9woKWQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA" />

Jan 17, 2019 #1326 2019-01-17T01:00

1865 - Confederate forces scuttled the screw transport Cape Fear and the steamer Pelteway in the Cape Fear River near Smithfield, North Carolina, to prevent their capture by Union forces.

1865 - The Union steamer Chippewa grounded on the south shore of the Arkansas River at Ivey's Ford, 14 miles (22.5 km) above Clarksville, Arkansas. Confederate forces captured her and her crew and passengers, removed her cargo, and burned the ship.

1955 - U.S. Navy Lockheed C-121J Super Constellation, BuNo 131639, c/n 4140, departs Harmon AFB, Newfoundland, at 0422 hrs. for a "routine transport flight" to its home-station, NAS Patuxent River, Maryland. At 0500, while over Prince Edward Island, two engines fail. The flight attempts to return to Harmon and a Boeing B-29 is dispatched to escort the crippled C-121, rendezvousing with it at 0504 over Cabot Strait, between Newfoundland and Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Twelve minutes later, the Constellation shut off its lights and other electrical equipment to facilitate the dumping of excess fuel. Within minutes the bomber lost radar contact with the transport and it vanished.
The Constellation went into a stormy sea amidst clouds and fog. The B-29 circled the area and finally spotted five life rafts and life jackets amidst wreckage at 0645 hrs., but no survivors. The six crew and seven passengers, twelve men and one woman, were lost. The plane's pilot was identified as Lt. Cdr. L. R. Fullmer, Jr., of Little Rock, Arkansas. The woman aboard was identified as Seaman Jeanette W. Elmer, 22, of Syracuse, New York.

1957 - During the second bomber stream of training mission, "WEDDING BRAVO", by 30 Convair B-36 Peacemaker bombers of the 7 th Bomb Wing, out of Carswell AFB, Texas, a jet engine explosion results in one B-36 landing at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, on fire. There was no further damage to the aircraft and no injuries to the crew, commanded by Capt. Robert L. Lewis.

1957 - A Boeing WB-50D Superfortress, 48-093, c/n 15902, (built as B-50D-95-BO) of the 58th Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, fully loaded with fuel for a 3,700-mile weather reconnaissance flight, crashes two minutes after a pre-dawn takeoff from Eielson AFB, Alaska, with the wreckage and fuel burning in an inferno 200 yards long and 50 yards wide on the flat land three miles N of the base. All twelve crew are killed.

1957 - "HONOLULU (UP) – A Navy pilot, Lt. (JG) Kenneth R. West Jr., 24, of Burlingame, Calif., was killed when his FJ-3 Fury crashed in the ocean shortly after takeoff from Kaneohe Air Station."

1957 - The crash of Martin B-57E-MA Canberra, 55-4283, c/n 385, at Biggs AFB, Texas, kills two and injures a third. Killed are 1st Lt. Russell E. Hanson, 24, Cudahy, Wisconsin, and 1st Lt. Thomas H. Higgins, 24, Walled Lake, Michigan.

1966 - A Boeing B-52G Stratofortress, 58-0256, of the 68th Bomb Wing out of Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina, collides with a KC-135A-BN Stratotanker, 61-0273, c/n 18180, flying boom during aerial refueling near Palomares, Almería in the 1966 Palomares B-52 crash, breaking bomber's back. Seven crew members are killed in the crash, two eject safely, and two of the B-52's Mark 28 nuclear bombs rupture, scattering radioactive material over the countryside. One bomb lands intact near the town, and another is lost at sea. It is later recovered intact 5 miles (8 km) offshore in deep trench. Two of the recovered weapons are exhibited at the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History, Albuquerque, New Mexico.

1966 - Two crew of a Republic F-105F Thunderchief based at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, escape injury when the engine of the fighter-bomber in which they are engaged in a photo-chase mission catches fire, forcing them to eject. The airframe impacts in East Bay, near Tyndall AFB, Florida at 1008 hrs. Pilot Capt. James D. Clendenen and photographer S/Sgt. J. G. Cain are recovered from the water by a Tyndall base helicopter.

1966 - A Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star on a night mission crashes and burns in a wooded area 11 miles NW of Eglin AFB, killing both crew members. According to the base information officer, the wreckage was in a densely wooded area which made the approach of rescue vehicles difficult. Killed while flying (KWF) were Capt. Robert D. Freeman, 30, of Lindsey, Oklahoma, and 2nd Lt. Roger A. Carr, 26, of Ames, Iowa. Both were residents of Fort Walton Beach, Florida and were assigned to the Air Proving Ground Center.

1993 - A USAF F-16C shoots down a MiG-23 when the MiG locks up the F-16.

1993 – Two IRAF Su-22 "Fitters" open fire on two USAF F-16s in protest of the no-fly zones. No aircraft are damaged in the encounter.

2003 - A US Marine Corps McDonnell-Douglas F/A-18D Hornet crashes into the Pacific Ocean off of MCAS Miramar, California, due to a material failure during a functional check flight with one engine shut down. Both crew eject safely and are recovered.

2013 - USS Guardian (MCM-5) ran hard aground upon the Tubbatabha Reef in the Sulu Sea. The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) admitted that the coastal scale Digital Nautical Chart (DNC) supplied to Guardian was flawed due to human error on the part of the NGA. This was an error that mislocated the Tubbataha Reef by 7.8 nautical miles east-southeast of its actual location. NGA was aware of this error in 2011 and updated a smaller scale electronic chart. NGA failed to publish a correction for the larger scale chart the ship was using when she ran aground.

Jan 18, 2019 #1327 2019-01-18T21:49

1871 - Wilhelm I is declare Emperor of Germany in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles - outside Paris.
1919 - The Paris Peace Conference opens - at Versailles.
2019 - HRH the Duke of Edinburgh is given the OK following an accident involving his Range Rover being T-Bones and flipped.

Jan 24, 2019 #1328 2019-01-24T03:02

1862 - Two Confederate blockade runners carrying cargoes of cotton, schooner Julia, and an unidentified bark, were forced to run themselves aground on the coast of Louisiana near the mouth of the Mississippi River by the screw steamer USS Mercedita and other pursuing ships of the Gulf Blockading Squadron. The vessels were then burned to prevent them from falling back into Confederate hands.

1862 – USS Peri, earmarked for scuttling as a blockship in Maffit's Channel in Charleston Harbor off Charleston, South Carolina, as part of the "Stone Fleet," was blown out to sea by a gale, where she drifted for three days before disappearing.

1865 – During the Battle of Trent’s Reach, torpedo boat CSS Scorpion was run aground on the James River in Virginia and abandoned. A United States Navy launch crew captured and refloated her on 27 January.

1870 - USS Oneida was a Mohican class wooden screw sloop and sister to the more famous USS Kearsarge. Commissioned in 1862, Oneida served effectively during the American Civil War, taking part in several shore bombardments and destroying two confederate ships. She was decommissioned at the end of the war.
Recommissioned in 1867, she was attached to the Asiatic Squadron. At 5:15 PM this date, USS Oneida departed Yokahama en route to Hong Kong under the command of Commander Edward P. Williams. At 6:30 PM, as the ship passed Saratoga Spit near the entrance to Tokyo Bay, the P&O Steamship Bombay struck her starboard side near the main and mizzen masts and shattered Oneida's starboard quarter. She sank in about fifteen minutes in 37 meters of water, taking 125 crew with her, including Captain Williams.

1936 - Keystone B-4A, 32-118, of the 23d Bomb Squadron, flown by Charles E. Fisher, and B-4A, 32-132, of the 72d Bomb Squadron, piloted by William G. Beard, both assigned to the 19th Bomb Group, collide 1,200 feet over Luke Field, Ford Island, Oahu, H. I., killing six of eight crew aboard the two bombers, described at the time as "the worst air accident in Hawaiian aviation history." Private Thomas E. Lanigan, Air Corps, and 2d Lieutenant Charles E. Fisher, Air Corps Reserve, become Caterpillar Club members 763 and 764, respectively, when they take to their parachutes.

1952 - Grumman SA-16A Albatross, 51-001, c/n G-74, of the 580th Air Resupply Squadron (a Central Intelligence Agency air unit of the Air Resupply and Communications Service), on cross-country flight from Mountain Home AFB, Idaho, to San Diego, California, suffers failure of port engine over Death Valley, crew of six successfully bails out at

1830 hrs. with no injuries, walks S some 14 miles to Furnace Creek, California where they are picked up the following day by an SA-16 from the 42d Air Rescue Squadron, March AFB, California. The abandoned SA-16 crashes into Towne Summit mountain ridge of the Panamint Range W of Stovepipe Wells with starboard engine still running. Wreckage is still there.

1957 - Two Boeing B-47B Stratojets of the 19th Bomb Wing, Homestead AFB, Florida, have mid-air near the Isle of Pines, Cuba, during refueling operations. B-47B-50-BWs, 51-2332, and -2352, collided during an early night operation.

1958 - "FUCHU, Japan (AP) – Three U.S. Air Force F-84G Thunderjets crashed into the sea tonight after takeoff from Iwakuni Air Base, western Japan. The bodies of the three pilots, whose names were withheld, had not been located five hours later, the Air Force said. The planes, from the 418th Fighter Training Squadron, Misawa Air Base, were on a training flight. 'Engines of all three aircraft appeared to flame out almost simultaneously on takeoff. The planes hit the water about 1,000 feet from the end of the runway,' the Air Force said." According to Joe Baugher, F-84G-20-RE, 51-1237, had a mid-air collision with flight mates F-84G-25-RE, 51–1300 and F-84G-25-RE, 51-1312, during the takeoff sequence.

1958 - A U.S. Navy Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind, BuNo 128446, "Indian Ocean Tradewind", assigned to VR-2, claims a new Honolulu-Alameda speed record for seaplanes, despite the loss of one engine en route. The Navy said that the Tradewind's 5 hours and 54 minutes bettered an old record for a seaplane, also set by a Tradewind, at 6 hours and 54 minutes. After departing from Keehi Lagoon, Hawaii, the Tradewind suffered the loss of the number one propeller (port outer) when it tore loose about 350 miles from the mainland, slashing a six- to eight-foot hole in the hull below the waterline, and damaging electrical control lines. None of the 17 on board were injured, either, when the R3Y slammed into the breakwater after landing in San Francisco Bay, California, due to a runaway turboprop engine that would not respond to control inputs due to the electrical system damage from the propeller strike. Lt. Cdr. Homer C. Ragsdale was the pilot on this flight. The Navy announces on 30 January that all three R3Y Tradewinds will remain grounded until a five-man accident board can determine what caused the crash of a fourth when it struck a seawall at Naval Air Station Alameda, California, after also losing a propeller in flight. Ultimately, this was the last straw for the troubled P5Y and R3Y program. Four of the design had crashed, including one of two XP5Y-1 prototypes, all attributed to on-going issues with the problematic Allison T-40 turboprop powerplants and their associated gearboxes. The Navy abandoned further interest in the engine and all aircraft using it. VR-2 was disestablished 16 April 1958, and all P5Y and R3Y airframes broken up.

1961 - A U.S. Air Force Boeing B-52G Stratofortress, 58-0187, (the last Block 95 airframe), Keep 19, of the 4241st Strategic Wing, 822d Air Division, Eighth Air Force, on Coverall airborne alert suffers structural failure, fuel leak, of starboard wing over Goldsboro, North Carolina, wing fails when flaps are engaged during emergency approach to Seymour Johnson AFB, two weapons on board break loose during airframe disintegration, one parachutes safely to ground, second impacts on marshy farm land, breaks apart, sinks into quagmire. Air Force excavates fifty feet down, finds no trace of bomb, forcing permanent digging easement on site. According to the Wikipedia article pertaining to this incident, parts of the weapon WERE recovered. The tail was found at 22 feet down, along with the plutonium core as well as other fragments. The project is abandoned before the entire uranium mass could be recovered, due to uncontrollable ground-water flooding. The USAF purchased the land, to safeguard the in situ remains. Five of eight crew survive.

1963 - USAF Boeing B-52C Stratofortress, 53-0406, of the 99th Bombardment Wing, out of Westover AFB, Massachusetts on a low-level flight training mission, commanded by Col. Dante Bulli, 40, of Cherry, Illinois, hits turbulence while flying

100 ft. above the ground as it approached Elephant Mountain near Greenville, Maine, loses vertical fin. Conditions were reported as air speed of 280 knots, outside temperature 14 degrees below zero, with the winds gusting to 40 knots. As the bomber went out of control, the pilot ordered ejection. Only three crew got out: Bulli and Capt. Gerald Adler, 31, of Houston, Texas, survived, though Adler was badly injured. The copilot, Major Robert J. Morrison was killed when he hit a tree while parachuting to the ground. Lt. Col. Joe R. Simpson, Jr, Maj. William W. Gabriel, Maj. Robert J. Hill, Capt. Herbert L. Hansen, Capt. Charles G. Leuchter, and TSgt. Michael F. O'Keefe did not have time to eject and perished. A Douglas C-54 Skymaster from Goose Bay, Labrador drops a team of paramedics to aid the two survivors, who are then transported by helicopter to Dow Air Force Base, Bangor, Maine, where they are pronounced to be in "good condition."

1964 - A US Air Force T-39 Sabreliner, based in Weisbaden West Germany, was shot down by a Soviet fighter over Thuringia, about 60 miles inside East Germany while on a training flight. The crew of three, Gerald Hannaford, John Lorraine and Donald Millard were killed.

1991 - LTV A-7E Corsair II, BuNo 158830, 'AC 403', of VA-72 has the dubious distinction of being the last of the type in US Navy service to need a barricade landing aboard a carrier when the nose gear was damaged on catapult launch from USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), at start of mission 12.41 against a target in western Iraq, losing one tire. Pilot, Lt. Tom Dostie, succeeds in hooking 1-wire and aircraft snags safely in barricade. Since the A-7 type was about to be retired, airframe is stripped for parts and buried at sea 25 January with full military honors, but refuses to sink until strafed by air wing jets. This disposition is in question, however. Joe Baugher states that there is an A-7 marked as 158830 preserved in Museo dell'Aviazione near Rimini, Italy. It was reported as damaged during Desert Storm and was left at Sigonella, Italy.


What Lansing family records will you find?

There are 30,000 census records available for the last name Lansing. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Lansing census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 2,000 immigration records available for the last name Lansing. Passenger lists are your ticket to knowing when your ancestors arrived in the USA, and how they made the journey - from the ship name to ports of arrival and departure.

There are 8,000 military records available for the last name Lansing. For the veterans among your Lansing ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.

There are 30,000 census records available for the last name Lansing. Like a window into their day-to-day life, Lansing census records can tell you where and how your ancestors worked, their level of education, veteran status, and more.

There are 2,000 immigration records available for the last name Lansing. Passenger lists are your ticket to knowing when your ancestors arrived in the USA, and how they made the journey - from the ship name to ports of arrival and departure.

There are 8,000 military records available for the last name Lansing. For the veterans among your Lansing ancestors, military collections provide insights into where and when they served, and even physical descriptions.


Industry and Education Join Government

Automotive innovator Ransom E. Olds, who used gasoline power instead of steam, founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company in 1897. Olds is credited with building the first practical automobile, and by the turn of the century his company was the world's largest car manufacturer and had earned a reputation for high quality. Olds's company lived on as the Oldsmobile Division of General Motors until its discontinuation in 2004. By 1904 Lansing was the base of more than 200 manufacturing businesses and a world leader in the production of agricultural implements, automobiles, and gasoline engines.

Farmers had created the Michigan Agricultural Society in 1850 as a means to be heard in the state legislature. Many of the settlers from the East placed high value on education and culture they petitioned the state legislature through the Agricultural Society for a college of agriculture to be founded separately from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. The nation's oldest land-grant institution, created as part of Michigan's state constitution of 1850, was thus granted authorization in 1855. The Michigan Agricultural College was founded on 676 acres in the woods three miles east of Lansing in present-day East Lansing, which was granted a city charter in 1907. The name of the college was changed to Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences in 1923, and became a university upon its centennial celebration in 1955. Finally, in 1964, the name was shortened to Michigan State University.

Today, Lansing is a community where government, industry, education, and culture thrive. Although the city itself has witnessed a population decrease of 6.4 percent, the metropolitan area has increased by 3.5 percent. Residents enjoy the area for its economic stability and variety of activities. The business climate is active and was recognized by Entrepreneur magazine in 2003 as number seven on its list of ⊾st Cities for Entrepreneurs: Top Midsize Cities in the Midwest." The nearby residence of Michigan State University fosters an academia-minded atmosphere that contributed to the area's seventh place ranking in Richard Florida's bestselling book "Rise of the Creative Class" in 2002 as one of the "Top Ten Most Creative Small Cities."

Historical Information: Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St., Lansing, MI 48909-7507 telephone (517)373-1580 fax (517)373-4480


USS Slater Signal


During WWII no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the Little Beavers lead by Captain "31 Knot Arleigh Burke." There are Sailors and there are
DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast sleek they seek out the enemy to engage at point blank range.


"Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true Church"

Nov 28, 2017 #2 2017-11-29T04:17

Nov 29, 2017 #3 2017-11-29T17:30

"Give Me A Fast Ship For I Intend To Go In Harm's Way"


During WWII no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the Little Beavers lead by Captain "31 Knot Arleigh Burke." There are Sailors and there are
DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast sleek they seek out the enemy to engage at point blank range.


"Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true Church"

Nov 29, 2017 #4 2017-11-29T20:01

Nov 29, 2017 #5 2017-11-29T22:44

History of the USS Slater
http://usssanfrancisco.org/Ship%20Photos/slater_w.jpg[/img]The Slater is a Cannon Class Destroyer Escort. Of the 565 destroyer escorts produced in World War II, USS SLATER (DE-766) is the only one remaining afloat in the United States, and the only one with original battle armament and configuration. These trim but deadly warships had the duty of looking out for enemy submarines and kamikazes as they escorted ship convoys across the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Visitors have a chance to see what life was like for the sailors who manned these vessels when they come aboard this Cannon Class destroyer escort in Albany, N.Y.

The USS Slater is named for FRANK O. SLATER of Alabama, a sailor killed aboard the USS San Francisco during the Battle of Guadalcanal in 1942. See link for more information.

On Sunday 26 October 97, Mayor Jerry Jennings was presented with Slater's Navy Cross and Purple Heart. DEHF has asked the Mayor to hold the decorations until they can be safely displayed aboard the Slater.

The Destroyer Escorts were named for Naval heroes, particularly those from early in World War II.

The USS Slater was "laid down" 9 March 1943, lauched 13 February 1944 and Commissioned 1 May 1944. See CONSTRUCTION, LAUNCHING, and COMMISSIONING, for more information and pictures.

After a shakedown cruise near Bermuda in June 1944, SLATER headed for Key West where she served as a target ship (see account of duty) and as a sonar school ship. In the latter part of 1944, the ship escorted two convoys to England. SLATER continued her Atlantic convoy duty from January through May 1945 when she escorted three convoys to Wales.

After returning to New York, SLATER headed for the Pacific, stopping at Guantanamo Bay and Panama. She went through the canal on June 28 and stopped at San Diego before sailing to Pearl Harbor. From there, she joined Task Unit 33.2.4 at Manila in September and escorted it to Yokohama. Through the remainder of the year, she escorted convoys to Manila, Japan, Biak, N.E.I. and the Caroline Islands. SLATER operated from the Philippines during January 1946 and then sailed to San Pedro, California.

SLATER made another pass through the Panama Canal on her way to Norfolk for inactivation. She sailed to Green Cove Springs, Florida in April 1946 and was then transferred to Charleston in February 1947. The Navy placed her in reserve, out of commission, in Green Cove Springs in May 1947. See LOG OF THE USS SLATER for complete war record and pictures.

On March 1, 1951, SLATER was transferred to the Hellenic Navy under the Truman Doctrine. Renamed Aetos-01, the ship served as a Hellenic Navy Officer Training Vessel until 1991 when Greece donated the ship to the Destroyer Escort Sailors Association . The ship had also been used in a number of movies including "The Guns of Navarone" .

Destroyer escort sailors from around the nation donated $275,000 to bring the ship back to the United States. A Russian tugboat brought the vessel back to New York City from Crete on August 27, 1993 where it was docked next to INTREPID. Volunteers the began restoring the ship to her World War II configuration.

DEHF was seeking a permanent home for the ship and sought assistance from DMNA in so doing. The Division of Military and Naval Affairs, Military History Branch coordinated the initial meetings between DEHF and the City of Albany. In July 1997 the DEHF and the City of Albany signed letters of intent to have the ship permanently located in Albany, NY, on the Hudson River. SLATER sailed up the Hudson to New York's capital and on Sunday 26 October 1997 the USS Slater arrived at the Port of Albany. See RECENT HISTORY of the USS Slater, with pictures. Was the Aetos the USS Slater ? and is the ship in Albany actually the Slater ? See the interesting first person account in Yard Birds Save Buns

The Destroyer Escort Historical Museum hired historic ship expert Tim Rizzuto, formerly of the USS KIDD in Baton Rouge, to lead SLATER's restoration. Assisted by education and tour coordinator, Nancy Buxton, Rizzuto has recruited and organized teams of volunteers to complete the ship's restoration. Professionals donate their time to bring about the ship's transformation. For example, the electrical team worked for months in the dark in freezing temperatures with only flashlights to guide them in order to restore electrical power to the ship. Engineers meet on Saturdays to work on the ship's General Motors diesel engine. Maintenance crews gather to chip paint, paint, clean, and remove layers of tile to restore the ship's spaces.

Tour guides, many of them Navy veterans, lead visitors through the ship to help them gain a sense of how the 216-man crew functioned. Others actively promote the ship and seek funding to fuel the restoration. The collections team catalogs the hundreds of artifacts, photos, documents and personal papers donated to the museum, which will be the center for destroyer escort-related history. On March 20th the SLATER was officially listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places. Listing on the National Register was formally presented on Veteran's Day 11 November 1998. See Slater Signals index for monthly news on progress in the restoration of this ship.

The USS Slater is owned by the Destroyer Escort Historical Museum (DEHM) , a 501 (c) 3 organization.

The ship is not owned by the US Navy and therefore is not subject to recall to active service in the event of war.

The DEHM supports the USS Slater and three Naval Museums with financial contributions and programs such as assistance with renovations, development of a strong tourism base and national media exposure.

On December 7, 1941 the naval and air forces of the Japanese Empire launched a surprise attack on the U.S. Navy's pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. More than 2,000 soldiers and sailors lost their lives and 13 ships were sunk. One ship, the USS Oklahoma, capsized and sunk. Aboard the USS Oklahoma was US Navy Ensign Charles M. Stern, Jr. of Albany. Commissioned an Ensign in the US Navy Reserve in August of 1940, Ensign Stern was killed in the sneak attack.

For his efforts during the attack on Pearl Harbor, a Cannon Class Destroyer Escort (same class as the USS Slater) was named for Ensign Stern, the USS Stern - DE 187 .

Local Connections Other Than Albany

The following ships, all Destroyer Escorts were named for locally born naval hereos in the early days of WW II:

USS Herzog - DE 178 was named for Troy, NY native William Ralph Herzog, born 29 December 1909. This was also Cannon Class.

USS Frament - DE 677 was named for Paul Stanley Frament born 17 August 1919 in Cohoes, NY.

USS Haines - DE 792 was named for Richard Alexander Haines born 28 April 1903 at Haines Falls, NY.

"Give Me A Fast Ship For I Intend To Go In Harm's Way"


During WWII no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the Little Beavers lead by Captain "31 Knot Arleigh Burke." There are Sailors and there are
DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast sleek they seek out the enemy to engage at point blank range.


"Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true Church"


History of the Lansing River Trail

Lansing’s Urban River became the prime focus of civic leaders in the 1960’s. By the early 1970’s a specific Waterfront Master Plan and been prepared, which established the first formal policy for the continued acquisition and redevelopment of targeted central city properties.

Implementation of the Waterfront Plan began with acquisition of deteriorated industrial and warehouse properties along the riverbank. Purchased at a cost of $2,000,000, twenty-seven parcels within the central city had been transformed, by 1976, into Riverfront Park.

The key feature of the park is the 2 ½ mile continuous Riverfront Trail which interconnects all river-oriented features in the central city.

The first section of RiverTrail opened in 1975.

In 1981 the Riverwalk received the esteemed designation as a National Recreation Trail by the United States Department of the Interior, which referred to it as “….a unique central city trail along a Waterfront….”

The longest extension took place in 1983. This one-half mile section was built on an overgrown riverbank railroad bed and was, at that time, the southern-most reach of the River Trail.

1985 construction switched the route to the Red Cedar River where it was incorporated into the new Potter Park and Zoo Master Plan. From here, the pathway continued the final 1 ½ miles to the MSU Campus in East Lansing.

In 2004 the Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council (Mid MEAC) received a grant from the DALMAC Bike Tour to assess the use and users of the Lansing River Trail. The survey was conducted from July 17 through September 16, 2004.

Observation points for this survey were Clipper Street, Aurelius Road, Pennsylvania Avenue, River Point Park (western spur), Impression 5 and Turner-Dodge. During the study period, 495 surveys were distributed, with 354 (72%) completed and returned. Those not responding were most likely to cite a lack of time, training and couldn’t stop or already completing a survey and not wanting to do a second.

Observation highlights showed the LRT had 72,040 estimated uses May 1 through September 30, 2004, with 64% on weekdays and 36% on weekends. Adults (18 and over) accounted for 86% of the uses and children for 14%. Of the adult uses, 49% were bicycling, 46% were walking/running and 5% were inline skating. For children, 62% were bicycling, 34% were walking/running and 4% were inline skating.

Use highlights from the surveys showed most (65%) LRT uses were by Lansing residents, with 15% by East Lansing residents and 29% from elsewhere. For adults, males accounted for 57% of the uses and females for 43%. One-third (33%) of the adult uses were by people who were 50 and over, 39% were by those 35 to 49 and 28% were by those 18 to 34. More than half (55%) of LRT use was done without driving a vehicle to it. Approximately half (48%) of the uses were by people that lived two miles or less from the trail. Eighty-four percent of uses were for two hours or less and 93% were rated as satisfactory experiences.

Distinct user highlights provided on an average, distinct visitors used the LRT 10 time per year and 5% were disabled.

Slightly more than half (54%) of LRT uses were by those who did not drive a vehicle to reach the trail. While more than half (60%) lived three miles or less from the trail, many who work in Lansing or East Lansing and commute used the trail during the work day.


Watch the video: USS Lansing DER388 (May 2022).