Information

Fulton AS-1 - History


Fulton III

(AS-1: dp. 1,308; 1. 226'6"; b. 35'; dr. 13' s. 12 k.;
cpl. 135; a. 2 3"; cl. Fulton)

The third Fulton (AS 1) was launched 6 June 1914 by New London Ship and Engine Co., Groton Conn.

sponsored by Mrs. A. T. Sutcliffe, great granddaughter of Robert Fulton; and commissioned 7 December 1914, Lieutenant J. D. Wilson in command.

During her first 6 months of service, Fulton tended submarines at Norfolk, Charleston, New York, and Newport, then after overhaul, arrived at New London 2 November 1915. Through 1922, this was to be her principal base for operations with submarines along the east coast and in the Caribbean from Cape Cod to Cuba. She took part in maneuvers and war games, served as station ship at New London, and in the summer of 1922 was flagship of Commander, Atlantic Submarine Flotillas.

Reassigned as tender for the Submarine Base at Coco Solo, Canal Zone, Fulton arrived there 4 April 1923, and during the following year joined in exercises on both sides of the Panama Canal Zone as well as making a survey of Almirante Bay, Panama. She returned to Philadelphia 14 July 1925, and there was decommissioned and placed in reserve 5 October 1925.

Fulton was recommissioned 2 September 1930 for duty as a surveying ship in the Canal Zone, and on 3 March 1931 returned to Balboa. Aside from a voyage north for overhaul in the winter of 1931-32 she conducted surveys in the Canal Zone area until arriving at San Diego 13 August 1932 to prepare for duty in the Asiatic Fleet. Her assigned station was Hong Kong, where she first arrived 3 November. With infrequent voyages to Cavite Navy Yard in the Philippines, Fulton patrolled the south China coast from Hong Kong to Canton, until 14 March 1934. On that day, fire broke out amidships when exhaust lines from two cylinders of a diesel engine carried away and ignited oil on the engine. The crew assembled on the bow and stern, and were taken off by HMS Wishart and SS Tsinan, three of the men having minor injuries. HMS Whitshed stood by the burning ship until a salvage party got the fire under sufficient control to allow her to be taken in tow for Junk Bay. On 24 March, an American tug came to tow Fulton into Hong Kong, where she received emergency repairs to allow her to be towed to Cavite. There she was decommissioned 12 May 1934.


What did your Fulton ancestors do for a living?

In 1940, Farmer and Teacher were the top reported jobs for men and women in the US named Fulton. 16% of Fulton men worked as a Farmer and 7% of Fulton women worked as a Teacher. Some less common occupations for Americans named Fulton were Truck Driver and Maid .

*We display top occupations by gender to maintain their historical accuracy during times when men and women often performed different jobs.

Top Male Occupations in 1940

Top Female Occupations in 1940


TOP BOOK PICKS

A PROMISED LAND

President Obama's memoir is set to be released on November 17th.
Email us at [email protected] to reserve your copy!

HOW TO BE AN ANTI-RACIST

Mandatory reading for us all. Now can be accompanied by Ibram Kendi's new workbook "Be Anti-Racist". Pick up both and grab one for a friend.

WHO WILL YOU BE?

There is nothing to not love about this touching read for the little ones. A perfect book to pick up for yourself or the new parent in your life.


Fulton AS-1 - History

FRANK H.REIGHARD.
Wauseon, Ohio,
Jan. 15, 1934 .

On the 28th of February 1850, the General Assembly of Ohio, by an act erected the County of Fulton with its present boundaries, from Lucas, Williams and Henry Counties.

All the criminal and civil suits which were and should be pending in the Counties of Williams, Lucas and Henry on the first Monday in April 1850, were to be prosecuted to final judgment in said counties as though said County of Fulton had not been erected.

All Justice of the Peace were to hold their offices until their service expired or until their successors were elected or commissioned for the County of Fulton.

All writs or other legal processes were to be styled as of the County of Fulton, on and after the first day of April, 1850. The legal voters residing within the limits of said County were to assemble on the first Monday in April, 1850, to elect officers of the County to serve until the next annual election in October, 1850. And the Courts were to be held at some convenient house in the Township of Pike, the place to be designated by the associate Judges of said County, until a permanent seat of justice shall be established within and for said County.

Laurens Dewey of Franklin County, Mathias H. Nichols, of Allen County and John Riley, of Carroll County, were appointed by the legislature of Ohio, Commissioners to fix and locate the seat of Justice in said new County of Fulton.

Accordingly under the provisions of this act, the people of both political parties met in convention at the house of Daniel Knowles, in Pike Township, about the last of March 1850 to nominate officers of the county to be supported at the April elections. This convention was not fully characterized for harmony of purpose but in consequence of the weakness of the then old whig party to succeed in the election of a party ticket, they quietly submitted to a portion of the choice of said convention. That Convention made a choice of Mortimer D. Hibbard, of Dover, for Auditor George B. Brown of Royalton, was chosen Sheriff C. C. Allman of Delta, was chosen recorder Nathaniel Leggett of Swan Creek, was chosen Treasurer William Sutton, of Gorham, Christopher Watkins, of Fulton, and Jonathon Barnes, were chosen commissioners, and duly elected and qualified as officers of said new county, and severally entered upon the duties of their respective offices. The place having been fixed temporally for the business of the County at the house of Robert A. Howard, in Pike under said act creating the new County of Fulton. Nathaniel Leggett, of Swan Creek, John Kendall, of Franklin, & Alfred C. Hough, of Chesterfield, were chosen the first Associate Judges. Nathaniel Leggett refused to serve, Socrates H. Catley, of Swan Creek, was appointed to fill his place. Samuel Durgin, was appointed Clerk, and John A. Read, Prosecuting Attorney, and in the fall of 1850, Alfred C. Hough was elected to the Auditor's office and resigned his judgeship, and William T. Parmalee, of Chesterfield, and A. M. Flickinger of Gorham, filled said office successfully until the change in the Constitution of the State, in 1851. (Go to index)

Some time in the season of 1850, the locating Commissioners here to fore appointed by the legislature of Ohio, permanently fixed the seat of Justice at Ottokee, near the center of the County. Aetna, Delta, Spring Hill and Fluhart's Corners having been competing points before the Commissioners. The decision of, said locating Commissioners afterwards was confirmed by the people. The first election resulting in no choice, but bringing the second contest between Ottokee and Aetna, and upon the second trial resulted as aforesaid. The Commissioners of the County immediately thereafter proceeded to erect a Court House at, said new site, and the contract for building was duly awarded to A. H. Jordan of Royalton. Said Court House was afterwards burned July 16th, 1864, and again rebuilt in 65. Wauseon in 1863 and Delta in 1864 under an enabling act for the removal of the County seat were defeated. In 1869 Wauseon again entered the field under an act of the legislature for the removal of the County Seat, which was affected by a small majority, and as soon as a Court house was built, which I believe was in the latter part of the year 1871, or the beginning of the year 1872, the books and papers were all moved to Wauseon, the new County seat, and thereafter all business has been transacted at Wauseon, and is to day a flourishing town.

But to return to a historical enumeration of the earlier days within the present limits of the now County of Fulton, then the County of Wood, and other counties named, the first settlements began in the year 1833, at Phillip's Corners, Aetna, upon Bean Creek (Called Tiffin River) in the Township of Franklin Delta in Swan Creek Twp., and at Spring Hill in Dover Township.

At the time of the first settlement at these points from 1833 to 1836, there were many Indians roaming over and hunting in the County, the most favorable game being Deer, Bear, Racoon, Mink, Otter, the two latter killed mostly for their furs Wild turkeys still being very plenty furnished food as well as sport for both the Indian and the pioneer White man.

The Indians upon this territory, were chiefly of the Pottowatomies tribe, extending through a part of the Maumee valley and north eastern Indiana and southern Michigan, they were the original owners of the soil. Tradition says, having inhabited this country for many generations.

Intermarriages with the Ottawas who inhabited Maumee valley proper and had occasionally taken place, so also with the Chippewas further up the peninsula. The intermarriages gave the Pottowatomies strength and powerful allies in war. The principal village in this County was located upon both banks of Bad creek, near Aetna in Pike Township, on the lands entered by Jacob McQuillen and Edward Howard, and now owned and embraced in the farm of the Hon. D. W. H. Howard, and occupying mainly the present site of his orchard and buildings. The site was favorable for an Indian village as the ground is high and rolling, and furnishing some of the finest springs of pure sweet water in the County. In 1834 at the date of the first settlement there were still in a flourishing condition, and bearing fruit, a number of very old peach trees, which no doubt were planted by early French traders. A more favorable site for an Indian village could not be found within the now circle of Fulton County. (Go to index)

A very singular feature of this locality (which however is not uncommon in Northwestern Ohio) is a circle of mounds embracing within their circumference about three acres of land. Those mounds are each distinct and from thirty to sixty feet in diameter, and from two to three feet in height and were filled with the bones of human bodies, indicating that it was the site of an ancient burying ground, or of a battlefield where many had been slain. I learn from my much esteemed friend D. W. H. Howard, that not even a tradition existed among the Indians at that date, the time of its use, but tradition points somewhere down the vista of time, a great battle was fought between the inhabitants of the Mississippi and the east, and this burying ground was the result of this sanguinary strife. Time and the plow has lowered them somewhat, but are still plain to be seen. In uncovering one of these mounds for the purpose of building thereon, Mr. Howard tells me he found the bones and carefully collected and reburied them in other mounds. He is truly the friend of the Indian who can so carefully preserve the ashes of their dead.

This village was called Nesenowbo, or Junenowbo, which signifies in the language of the Pottowatomies, the two boys or twin boys. It was called by the whites twin Naba, which was not correct. There were a number of other smaller settlements, one on bean creek (in early days called Tiffin River) at the north part of the County, and one on the banks of Swan creek on the eastern verge of the County, it was a trading post kept by one Lakins who long since passed away, & his Indian customers to their happy hunting grounds.

Also at Spring Hill in Dover Township was situated one of the Indians favorite camping grounds, as its fine springs furnished what to the Indians, was only second to his beloved fire water (Whiskey) pure sweet water. The remains of their dead may still occasionally be seen when turned up by the plow share, or thrown out by the spade.

History gives to us the hardships the early pioneers had in settling in this wilderness, the privations they endured, and the labor and toil to make for a growing family a home, living on hominy made from corn pounded in wooden mortars, and what wild meat might be obtained in their intervals of labor, but history does not record a case, that blood was ever shed by Indian hands within the precincts of this County, which in itself is very remarkable considering the nature of the Indian and the grievances they bore towards the white man for the encroachment made upon their domain, "to this land he held the right of the pre-emption the time whereof the memory of man ran not to the contrary, and superadded to this a patent from the great spirit which established his title on solid ground," (Lanman's Michigan) There were about three thousand Indians upon this territory at the commencing of the early white settlements, their manners and customs were the same as other tribes of Ohio or those who inhabited the Maumee Valley. They exchanged furs for other merchandise. In the treaties with our government after the extinguishment of the Indian titles to these lands, they were gathered together and removed beyond the Mississippi, the first leaving about 1828, and the balance at a later period 1832 or 1833 what few preferred to staying the land of their fathers have passed away, hence, to day we have no Indians upon the soil of Fulton County. Much might be written by the Historian of the habits, manners and customs, and the mode of living, not only of the Indian in his wild state, but of the hardy pioneers in the early settlement of this wilderness country that would be of interest to the present generation. Many of to day have but a very imperfect idea of the hardships and privations endured by the early settlers. (Go to index)

All the territory of this County that originally organized from Lucas was styled York Township, which was afterwards since 1837 organized into the various subdivisions as now exist. In all probability Valentine Winslow, David Hobart, and Jacob McQuillin were the first resident white men in the now present limits of Fulton County, followed soon after by Eli Phillipps and wife, they settled in Royalton and are now residing upon the farm first settled upon. Messrs, Anson, Willard, James Trowbridge, and Wm Fraker in 1834 settled near Delta, York Township. Robert A. Howard, Daniel Knowles, John Scindell and James Dixon settled in what is now PikeTownship. Joseph Applegate, Nathaniel S. Ketcham and William Smith (Sometimes called Uncle Billy) followed soon after by George Welch, Butler Richardson, Henry Jordan, Snow Carpenter, Jared Hoadley and Eli Phillips, who settled here in June 1833.

West, the nearest white settlement was seventy miles and south at Waterville, on the Maumee.

M. D. Hibbard, J. J. Schnall, J. Walters, - Bennett, William Hoffmire and Pilu Lott, with some others settled Spring Hill, now in the Township of Dover, about this time Judge Ambrose Rice, uncle to our late deceased brother, M. D. Hibbard, surveyed this territory. He was a bachelor, a very intelligent and estimable man. It is said that disappointment in early life caused him to leave the society of civilization and lead the life of a recluse as it were. His profession as a surveyor confined him to the woods, for which he had as strong an attachment as the native of the forest. In summer, sleeping in the forest with the green carpet for his couch, and the clear canopy of heaven for his covering, and in the winter, bark and log huts hastily constructed, as security from the keen winds. It was through his influence that our late townsman, M. D. Hibbard came to this County, and by him was furnished a house at Spring Hill, where he spent some of his life.

As near as can be ascertained, George Wiers was the first white person born on the territory, and lived on what is now known as the Mullen Farm, in Pike.

A nephew of Lyman Parcher with a daughter of Auretus Knight were united in marriage by our venerable townsman Daniel Knowles J. P., in the very early history of the territory and probably the first, or at least among the first marriages that took place among the whites in the now present limits of this County.

Some among the oldest settlers of Swan Creek Township were David Williams, Thomas Gleason, William Sheffield, Aeldes Ney, and Thomas Fraker. Shortly after followed Hon. S. H. Cately, and others.

Swan Creek was organized from York Township in 1836. Franklin township was organized in 1842, while under the jurisdiction of Lucas County. As it now exists with the addition from Williams County, would comprise as its first settlers, Joseph Bates, Bruce Packard who settled on the Creek in 1835. John Shaffer and Adam Poorman in 1835 Joseph Ely, Asher Bird, S. B. Darby and William Youngs next followed in 1835 to 1837. Shortly after the arrival of Bird, he built a grist mill on Mill Creek, the ruins of which may be seen at this time. Among some of the other early settlers of Franklin were John McLaughlin, Leonard Whitmore, John Bowser, Ozias Barnes and John J. Clark. Ransome Reynolds and Pollonia Crandall were the first persons married in Franklin township, were married by Mathews Borton, Justice of the Peace, of German. The first preacher upon the soil was John Bowser, United Brethern. Samuel B. Darby and Leonard Whitmore each in the early times in this County, kept a store on Bean Creek. Franklin was organized from German and Gorham Townships and additions since from Mill Creek and Brady Townships, Williams County.

A sister of John McLaughlin, away back in those early days, in preparation for the marriage, which was as natural then as in these times, done a washing in the morning, shelled one half bushel of corn, carried it on her head to Bird's Mill, a distance of two miles, had it ground, brought it back in the same manner, and from it baked a pudding for the feast the same evening-and was married the same day.

Fulton Township was organized at a very early date, embracing Amboy Township. Among its first inhabitants were Hiram Bartlett, John Blain, William Blain, and Charles Blain, the mother of whom lived with her son Charles and died some three years ago at the ripe old age of one hundred years. David and Jerry Duncan, Tunis Lewis, John Lewis and Charles Welch were among the first.

An incident in the life of Hiram Bartlett is here worthy of note He early learned the hatter trade, and on arriving at twenty-one years of age (as it was customary to have birthday parties) he had a party to commemorate the event. Rum was customary at the side board and was drank freely by all members of the society in those days. On that day he took a bottle, filled with rum --no fictitious stuff-- corked and sealed it, and then and there declared before the company present that he would never taste any alcoholic drinks during his life, unless to save his life, and not then until it was decided by a council of five doctors that it was necessary, if so decided that it was necessary, the bottle was to be opened and the prescription to be made therefrom. He died last fall. The bottle remains unopened and is now in the possession of his son Russell Bartlett.

Chesterfield Township was organized in 1837, embracing the now township of Gorham or all that part east of the Williams County line. The first man in the township was Chesterfield Clemens after whom the township was named. Amaziah Turner came from Putnam County, New York. I believe he settled here in 1835. Martha Turner, daughter of said Amaziah, was the first child born in the township. Alfred C. Hough and Harlow Butler were among some of the first settlers of this township.

Gorham was organized in 1838,from Chesterfield, and among its first pioneers were Gorham Cottrell and family, James Baker, George D. Kellogg, a man by the name of Worden, Philander Crane, Levi Crifford, Benjamin F. Dee, and others. The most of the early settlers of Gorham Township were poor and endured all the privations incident to a new wooded country. Their place of trade for Gorham, Franklin and German in those days, was done at Adrian, Michigan, and for milling at Medina and Canadaguia just over the line.

German and Clinton were organized at a very early date, the time of which and their settlements and by whom, I have been as yet, unable to obtain a correct history, such as I in confidence could present to the people. York township was the first organized township in the County having its organization while it belonged to the County of Wood. Its history within its present limits I know but little about.

I found 2 different histories of German Township of Fulton County Ohio
in the local newspapers. One was published in 1870 and the other in 1877.
Both contain some interesting reading. 1) Click here to view a German Township history that was published in the
Northwestern Republican Newspaper on February 10, 1870

2) Click here to view a German Township history that was published in the
Northwestern Republican Newspaper on January 25th, 1877
The first village lots laid out in this County were Aetna, in the township of Pike, and a man named Wilkinson with Edward Howard (Father of D. W. H. Howard) built thereon a block house as a trading post with the Indians. That same Block House is still standing at Aetna, but since boarded over upon the outside and new roof, and bids fair to be a monument of early pioneer life for some time to come. You of this period have but a small conception of the hardships of those early pioneers. Many living in rudely constructed cabins, ten by twelve feet or less, without any windows save the pulling out of a few chincking, with rudely constructed bed steads, using in many instances but one post with bed rails inserted in the logs in some corner, on which the slumber of your fathers and mothers was sweet as yours to day upon your spring couches and your carpeted rooms.

The growing strength and beauty of the County is in its agricutural interests, its wheat, corn, oats, hay, etc. The purity of its morals is maintained by the virtue and dignity of its women and the excellency of its schools all of which is its present glory and future hope. May we ever look with feelings of pride on the American flag as it waves over a free people to day, beneath whose grateful folds, we have for one hundred years found a home, and may we be enabled to transmit this heritage to future generations, that the future prospects of the next Centennial year may be as propitious as ours is to day, for the future. (Go to index)

Wauseon was laid out on March 1854 and named by J. H. Sargent, Esq. in honor of one of the principal Chiefs of the Ottawa Nation.

Wauseon, the Indian Chief --one fourth white blood--was removed by the Government west of the Mississippi and died in 1849. He was a noble Indian and highly respected. He stood six feet three inches in his moccasins, and was of fine form and well proportioned. The first building was erected on the fourth of April 1854. The proprietors of the town were Nat. Leggett, J. H. Sargent, William H. Hall and E. L. Barber.

The first train of cars passed through the place on the Air Line Road on the 20th day of July, 1854, at which time the population of the village was fifteen persons.

The first hotel in Wauseon was named the "Estelle House". The first land for a home in Wauseon was bought from Lorenzo Dow Bayes uncle Tom Bayes.

The first church was erected in the summer of 1855, by the Methodists. In the year 1863 and 1864, the Disciples built a Church in 1864 the Congregationalists erected a church. In 1874 and 1875 the Methodists erected their present large and commodious church. In 1875 the Catholics fitted up their church, and in 1868 the Baptists built their church.

The first fire engine was purchased in 1863, and in 1875 a magnificent fire engine was purchased. Both good and used in case of necessity. The petition praying for the organization of Wauseon into an incorporated Village was received & filed with A. C. Hough, County Auditor, on April 11th, 1857. The approval of the Commissioners of the County, Stephen Houghton, Joseph Ely, and George Taft was given at Ottokee, June 13th, 1857.

The first Council was composed of the following members Mayor, Nat Leggett Recorder, E. L. Barber and councilmen, James Cornell, M. D. Munn, Thomas Scott, E. L. Hayes and Anson Huntington. The first meeting of the Council was held September 28th, 1858.

The population of the village in 1860 was three hundred and fifty persons, the present population is about twenty five hundred. The first white settler and actual resident of the site of Wauseon, was John Newcomer, who emigrated to the then wilderness in May 1844, and erected a log cabin and commenced the work of cleaning up and improving his farm, on which are now laid out two additions to the village of Wauseon. (Go to index)


Fulton AS-1 - History

A Brief History of Fulton County

Prior to the 18th century, the lands that would become Fulton County were used by the Mohawk Indians as hunting and fishing grounds. By the turn of the century, New Englanders and settlers from the Hudson River Valley were looking to expand, hoping to find farmland along the frontier.

In 1704, Sampson Broughton, the Attorney General of New York, purchased 700,000 acres from the Mohawk Indians in the area that now contains Broadalbin and Perth. Unfortunately, the Mohawks had little knowledge of land ownership and were easily taken advantage of.

This was the case with this Kayaderosseras Tract purchased by Broughton for next to nothing. Discovering the dishonest plot, the Mohawks were understandably angry, and no permanent settlements were made in the area until the close of the French and Indian War in 1763.

1929 Monarch Food Ship Plane

The British Government of New York and other individuals continued to buy up tracts of land for resale through grants and patents. In 1753, Arent Stevens and several others purchased 20,000 acres of land from the government.

4 Corners looking south from Church St 1940

The Kingsborough Patent, as it was called, contained parts of the current Towns of Johnstown, Mayfield, and Ephratah, including the present-day cities of Johnstown and Gloversville. Ownership of the patent was soon transferred to Sir William Johnson. Johnson, French and Indian War hero, Baronet, and Superintendent of Indian Affairs (1756-1774), began building his hall at John’s Town (named for his son) in 1762.

At Johnson’s prompting, the expansive Albany County was divided into three smaller counties in 1772: Albany, Charlotte, and Tryon, which included present-day Fulton County. The county was named for William Tryon, the Royal British Governor of New York. Johnstown was selected as the county seat and there a courthouse and jail were built. Tryon County contained five districts: Mohawk, Stone Arabia (renamed Palatine in 1773), Kingsland, German Flatts, and Canajoharie.

Sacandaga Park Midway

The leather and glove industry developed rapidly in the late 18th and early 19th century, bringing growth and success to the area. By the 1830s, the center of the population of the county had shifted south of Johnstown, and the people petitioned to move the county seat to Fonda. The move was approved by the state legislature in 1836 and Johnstown’s courthouse and jail were sold.

The residents of Johnstown were not happy with the change. A group of residents, led by Judge Daniel Cady (father of women’s rights activist Elizabeth Cady Stanton), drafted their own petition for the creation of a new county.

Fulton County was created by an act of the legislature on April 18, 1838. It was named for inventor and engineer Robert Fulton. It contained the Towns of Bleecker, Broadalbin, Ephratah, Johnstown, Mayfield, Northampton, Oppenheim, Perth, and Stratford.

The jail and courthouse were repurchased by the new county and the county seat was returned to Johnstown. In 1842, the Town of Caroga was created from parts of Johnstown, Stratford, and Bleecker, and Perth was expanded form part of Broadalbin. In 1860, a small part of the county near the Sacandaga Park was transferred to Hamilton County. Thus Fulton County was created as it is today.

Keep 'Em Smilin May 1954

Today, Fulton County is an ideal destination for any history-lover or outdoor adventurer.

The county, part of which is located in the southern part of the Adirondack Park, boasts dozens of hiking trails, beautiful lakes and rivers for fishing and boating, great camping, and other opportunities to experience the great outdoors.

The heritage tourist can enjoy the plentiful preserved historic sites, museums, and art galleries located here. Tourists and residents alike agree that Fulton County is a wonderful place to be.


Fulton Mansion: An Enduring Legacy of Texas Beauty and History

My husband and I spent several hours visiting the beautiful and historic Fulton Mansion on a recent trip to Rockport-Fulton. We try to visit Rockport at least once a year, and the stately house on Fulton Beach Road, with its commanding view of Aransas Bay, is always a must-see. Every time we visit this Texas state historic site, we learn more about George W. Fulton and the palatial home he built for his wife Harriett and their family.

On one memorable December visit, we enjoyed an old-fashioned Christmas caroling evening at Fulton Mansion. School choirs sang traditional music on the candle-lit lawn that featured over 200 luminaries. Authentically costumed docents led tours of the mansion’s first floor and served us hot cider and gingerbread in the education center afterward.

Harvey Wreaks Havoc

Photo: Fulton Mansion Sunroom

After Hurricane Harvey devastated the resort town, we returned a few months later to find the mansion closed for extensive repairs and renovations. The Category IV Hurricane made landfall in Rockport Aug. 25, 2017, and the eye of the storm lingered there for hours. Harvey demolished hotels, schools, homes, and many other structures in the area. But the 143-year old mansion, with its stacked wood plank construction and Shellcrete foundation, was so solidly built, it weathered the storm better than most modern structures.

The mansion’s flat metal roof and chimneys were destroyed, though, and inside carpets, plaster walls, and collections were badly damaged. Fulton Mansion’s Education and History Center reopened Nov. 2 in 2017. Although the mansion would not reopen for visitors for some time, we were able to continue studying its history by visiting the center.

Touring Fulton Mansion

This year, with renovations finally finished, we were privileged to take a more informative tour of Fulton Mansion. Christi Morgan, the museum store manager, was our articulate and well-informed tour guide. She took us to view upstairs rooms and the basement area we’d never been allowed to see before, while filling us in on more Fulton family lore. We were once again amazed at George Fulton’s entrepreneurial spirit and engineering expertise. His innovations included a system for flushing toilets and heating/cooling the structure’s four stories.

Designed in the elaborate French Second Empire architectural style, Fulton Mansion was a work in progress from 1874-1877. It featured indoor plumbing that provided water to sinks in all six bedrooms, plus gas lighting and central heating. The family home even boasted three bathrooms (at a time when many rural Texans relied on outhouses) with built-in bathtubs. These engineering feats must have been especially extraordinary in the late 1800s. The mansion was originally called Oakhurst, for the numerous live oak trees populating the 60-acre grounds.

George Fulton Joins Texas Republic

Photo: Texas Historical Commission

Learning about George Fulton’s life is almost like reading a Texas history book. Like Davy Crockett from Tennessee, George tried to bring a band of volunteers from his Indiana home to fight in the 1836 Texas war for independence. Unlike Crockett, he arrived in Texas too late to fight in the war that had ended in April at San Jacinto. Fulton still enlisted in the Texas Republic’s army, and when he left military service he was awarded land grants. He became friends with Henry Smith, a key figure in the Texas Republic. Smith was elected provisional governor of Texas while it tried to escape Mexican rule.

The two men partnered on several business ventures, and Fulton married Smith’s 17-year-old daughter Harriett in 1840. In 1846 George and Harriett moved east with their three children (two more children were born later). George became successful in everything he tried. From 1846-1865 he worked as a newspaper reporter, railroad superintendent, civil engineer, bridge builder, and inventor of a patented device to improve ship propellers. But when his homesick Texan wife expressed her longing to return home, George agreed to return to Texas.

From Civil Engineer to Cattle Baron

Photo: George Fulton’s study, courtesy Texas Historical Commission

In 1867, soon after the family returned to Texas, George established the town of Fulton. Always an innovator, George built a wharf on Aransas Bay and also established a meatpacking business. He partnered with local ranchers Coleman and Mathis to start a ranching enterprise and even patented an improved method of curing and cooling meat. In 1879, the Coleman-Fulton Pasture Co. had 200,000 acres of ranch land. George had become known as a Cattle Baron.

When George was 83, he died at home in the palatial mansion he built for his beloved Harriett. The couple had been married 53 years, and their golden anniversary was celebrated with a lavish party at Fulton Mansion. The party was lovingly detailed by society papers across Texas. Harriett only stayed at Fulton Mansion a few years after George’s death before moving to Ohio to live with a daughter’s family. The family sold the vacant Fulton Mansion in 1906, and Harriett died in 1910 at age 88.

Texas Historic Site Since 1976

George and Harriett Fulton are buried side by side in the Rockport Cemetery. Their lovely mansion endured years of changing owners and neglect. It slowly fell into disrepair, since most owners didn’t have the funds needed to maintain such a large house. One owner tried running a restaurant there. For almost 20 years, from the late 1950s until 1976, it was part of a trailer park. The mansion’s basement was used as a recreation area.

Fortunately, the State of Texas designated Fulton Mansion as a historic site in 1976 and purchased the property for $150,000. Renovations began in 1979 it took seven years and $1.6 million to restore the mansion back to its original condition. After Fulton Mansion opened to the public on Dec. 10, 1983, over 1,600 visitors toured the mansion that first month. More than 20,000 visitors tour the Fulton Mansion each year. It is maintained by Texas Historical Commission with support from the nonprofit Friends of Fulton Mansion and the cities of Rockport-Fulton.


What Were the Technological Advances of the Industrial Revolution?

Between 1775 and 1908, the Industrial Revolution brought about technological advances in transportation, communication and productivity. These inventions shaped the modern world and continue to influence technological inventions.

In 1775, James Watt's steam engine sparked the Industrial Revolution by creating a new mechanism for powering locomotives and machinery. This made it possible to build factories and run machinery even when no water power was available. It also inspired Robert Fulton to launch steamboats on the Hudson River in 1807, opening the door for transatlantic travel. The steam engine led to the development of the electric motor in 1888 and the diesel engine in 1892, which fueled the development of the auto industry.

Samuel Morse invented the telegraph in 1836, a major technological development in communication. This device used electromagnetic currents to create codes that could be transmitted great distances via paper strips, leading Cyrus Field to invent the transatlantic cable in 1866, and Alexander Graham Bell to make the first telephone call in 1876.

Other developments of the Industrial Revolution that increased industrial productivity were Eli Whitney's cotton gin in 1798, Elias Howe's sewing machine in 1844, and Thomas Edison's harnessing of electricity to create the first light bulb in 1879.


History of Clark-Fulton | Cleveland Neighborhood Series: Part 1

Join The Veale Institute on Friday, April 9, at 12 p.m. via Zoom for a seminar discussion on the history of Clark-Fulton.

This will be the first session of a Cleveland Neighborhood series on Clark-Fulton.

    , Krieger Mueller Associate Professor of Applied History, CWRU Historian/Sr. VP for Research/Publications, Western Reserve Historical Society, Editor, Encyclopedia of Cleveland History
  • Art Ledger, Owner A&K Taxidermy , President, Hispanic Police Officers Association

This discussion will be moderated by Eduardo Bautista, New Business Developer for the Hispanic Business Center. Bautista is currently pursuing his BS in Computer Science at CWRU.

Series Overview:

Did you know the Clark-Fulton neighborhood is home to over 11,000 residents and the densest population of Hispanic and Latino residents in the state of Ohio? This neighborhood is a thriving community full of vibrancy and diversity.

Join us for a three-part virtual seminar series to learn more about the history of Clark-Fulton, meeting local entrepreneurs building their businesses in the neighborhood as well as how community stakeholders are working together to support and celebrate this neighborhood.


Engineering begins at ASU

The early years at ASU

It all began on February 26, 1885 when House Bill 164, “An Act to Establish a Normal School in the Territory of Arizona,” was introduced to the 13th Legislative Assembly of the Arizona Territory by John Samuel Armstrong. The bill, strongly supported by Charles Trumbull Hayden of Tempe, passed the House on March 6 and the Council on March 11 and was signed by Governor F. A. Tritle on March 12, 1885, thereby founding the institution known today as Arizona State University. Under the supervision of Principal Hiram Bradford Farmer, instruction was instituted on February 8, 1886, when 33 students met in a single room on land donated by George and Martha Wilson of Tempe.

The 1957-1959 course catalog included courses in the division of engineering in chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, engineering science, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering and nuclear engineering. The 1959-1961 catalog expanded to 190 courses plus 35 doctoral courses, up from 99 total in the first catalog.

As of May 31, 1960, 136 Bachelor of Science in Engineering and 10 Master of Science in Engineering degrees were granted.

The formation of the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences

During the 1960s, with the presidency of Dr. G. Homer Durham, Arizona State University began its academic rise with the establishment of several new colleges including the College of Fine Arts, the College of Law, the College of Nursing, and the School of Social Work. It also began a reorganization which formed the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. At this time the university also gained the authority to award the Doctor of Philosophy and other doctoral degrees, a big step towards becoming a serious institution.

The College of Engineering and Applied Sciences was divided into four divisions of instruction: agriculture, architecture, engineering and technology. Engineering fields of specialization included: chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, engineering science, industrial engineering and mechanical engineering.

The next three presidents—Harry K. Newburn, 1969-71, John W. Schwada, 1971-81, and J. Russell Nelson, 1981-89—and Interim President Richard Peck, 1989, led the university to increased academic stature, expansion of the campuses, and rising enrollment.

Under the leadership of Dr. Lattie F. Coor, from 1990 to June 2002, ASU grew to serve the Valley of the Sun through multiple campuses and extended education sites. During his tenure, ASU was named to Research Extensive status by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. At that time, nationally, only 88 universities had been granted this status, indicating successful garnering of support for research projects and educating future scientists.

A New American University

In 2002, ASU entered a new phase when Michael M. Crow joined the university as its 16th president. At his inauguration, President Crow highlighted his vision for transforming ASU into a New American University — one that is open and inclusive that embraces its cultural, socioeconomic, and physical setting and that promotes use-inspired research. As the only research university serving the entire metropolitan Phoenix area, ASU is in a unique position to evolve together with the city into one of the great intellectual institutions in the world.

The university also began a significant realignment initiative known as “One University in Many Places,” which adopted a college/school-centric model for restructuring ASU across four distinct full-service campuses valley-wide. Today, the engineering schools have more than one million square feet of space on the Tempe campus, providing room for a growing faculty to advance use-inspired research.

Fulton Schools go global

The office of Global Outreach and Executive Education (GOEE) takes ASU’s engineering expertise off campus through innovative online programs, short courses and global partnerships.

GOEE was formed in 2002 to provide industry partners seeking a global and flexible anytime/anyplace learning environment for their engineers to complete advanced degrees. In 2003, the program began offering engineering graduate degrees completely online. Currently, the program offers 10 master’s degree programs and three graduate-level academic certificate programs. In recent years, the programs have expanded to include undergraduate degree programs in engineering management and electrical engineering.

In national rankings by U.S. News & World Report, ASU’s engineering schools place number two for student services and technology provided in an online graduate engineering program.

GOEE administers the Higher Engineering Education Alliance Program (HEEAP), which was established in 2010 with a $5 million grant from the United States Agency of International Development (USAID) and Intel. HEEAP has since attracted additional academic and industry partners in a collaborative effort to improve the quality of Vietnam’s higher education curriculum and support the country’s growing high-tech industry.

Early success in the program has prompted further investment in an effort to accelerate efforts. In 2012, Intel, ASU and the Vietnam Ministry of Education and Training (MOET) signed a memorandum of understanding for a combined investment from Intel and MOET of more than $10 million over five years. Combined investment from industry and government partners since HEEAP was established has grown to $40 million.

The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering

In 2003, Ira A. Fulton, founder and CEO of Arizona-based Fulton Homes, established an endowment of $50 million in support of ASU’s College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. The school was renamed The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering in his honor and reconstructed to include five separate and interdisciplinary schools: The School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering, the School of Computing, Informatics and Decision Systems Engineering, the School of Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering, the School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy, and the School of Sustainable Engineering and the Built Environment. A sixth school, The Polytechnic School, was added in 2014 as ASU’s College of Technology and Innovation on the Polytechnic campus in Mesa merged with the Fulton Schools. Meet Ira A. Fulton

Since receiving his transformational gift, the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering have seen tremendous growth — both in scale and quality — of people and programs. Fulton’s investment has served as a catalyst for this advancement, enabling the development of a dynamic portfolio of strategic initiatives that benefits students, faculty and the communities where they live and work.

Ranked among the top 25 percent of all accredited public engineering programs in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering have experienced over five decades of phenomenal growth and success. While the principal focus is the education and training of future engineers, the schools research and outreach activities strive for engagement at diverse levels, from industry collaborations and small business partnerships to K-12 education and community involvement.

Consistent with Crow’s blueprint for a New American University, Fulton Engineering emphasizes discovery, design, innovation, entrepreneurship and societal impact. A number of innovative programs and student-centric services — E2 Camp freshman orientation, engineering residential communities, undergraduate research programs such as FURI — the Fulton Undergraduate Research Initiative, student organizations, leadership and entrepreneurship opportunities such as EPICS — the Engineering Projects in Community Service program, and tutoring and career services — are designed to support a hands-on, creative environment that is known as the Fulton Difference.

Fall 2020 enrollment was 24,994. To meet this growth and expand its research expertise in core areas of health, energy, education, security and sustainability, faculty numbers have grown to more than 355. Research expenditures for fiscal 2020 were $126 million.

Timeline and Key Events

1954
The Arizona Board of Regents authorized the establishment of the College of Applied Arts and Sciences. The new college was initially comprised of the divisions of agriculture, architecture, engineering and industrial education.

1956
The first bachelor’s degree program in engineering was approved.

1958
The college’s engineering division became the School of Engineering, and the first Engineering class graduated from Arizona State College.

1966
The School of Engineering was renamed the College of Engineering Sciences, and a separate College of Architecture was established.

1970
A Division of Construction was added to the College of Engineering Sciences, and the name of the Division of Industrial Design & Technology was shortened to Division of Technology.

1976
The College of Engineering Sciences was renamed the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences.

1988
The divisions of construction, technology and agriculture were reorganized as the Schools of Construction & Technology, and Agribusiness & Environmental Resources.

1992
Through a gift of the Del E. Webb Foundation, an endowment was set up to create the Del E. Webb School of Construction. A separate school was created for technology.

1996
The Schools of Technology and Agribusiness moved to ASU Polytechnic Campus.

2002
The Department of Bioengineering was renamed the Harrington Department of Bioengineering in honor of a $5 million gift from the Harrington Arthritis Research Center.

2003
Ira A. Fulton, founder and CEO of Fulton Homes, one of the nation’s largest builders of residential housing, established an endowment of $50 million. The College of Engineering and Applied Sciences was renamed in his honor.

2007-2008
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering commemorated 50 years of excellence in education and research.

2014
The College of Technology and Innovation on ASU’s Polytechnic campus renamed The Polytechnic School and becomes sixth school in the Fulton Schools.


USS Fulton (AS-1, PG-49)


Figure 1: USS Fulton (AS-1) at the Naval Submarine Base at New London, Connecticut, during World War I. USS Ardent (SP-680) is partially visible on the opposite side of the pier. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. Click on photograph for larger image.


Figure 2: USS Fulton (AS-1) at the Naval Submarine Base at New London, Connecticut, during World War I. A motor launch is in the center foreground and USS Ardent (SP-680) is at the right. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. Click on photograph for larger image.


Figure 3: USS Fulton (AS-1) with submarines alongside, probably during or soon after World War I. The third submarine from the left (second outboard of Fulton) is a Lake-type "boat," probably L-5, L-6 or L-7. Donation of Captain Stephen S. Roberts, USNR (Retired), 2008. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. Click on photograph for larger image.


Figure 4: USS Fulton (AS-1) towing the submarine G-1, circa 1915. The original print's reverse contains the hand written comment: "Towed 30 hrs. parted two line off Cape Hatteras, Fulton relieved by Castine, Castine stood by G-1 in storm off Hatteras for 48 hrs. before she could pick her up. G-1 registered a roll of 72 degrees. Arrow over rubber necks head." "Rubber neck" is probably Chief Quartermaster John Harold. Collection of Chief Quartermaster John Harold. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. Click on photograph for larger image.


Figure 5: Ship's Chief Petty Officers of USS Fulton (AS-1) photographed on board the ship at the New London submarine base, New London, Connecticut, in 1919. The conning tower of USS H-2 (Submarine # 29) is visible in the right background. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. Click on photograph for larger image.


Figure 6: USS G-2 (Submarine # 27) underway, circa 1916, with USS Fulton (AS-1) following astern. Courtesy of Alfred Cellier, 1977. US Naval Historical Center Photograph. Click on photograph for larger image.


Figure 7: USS Fulton (AS-1) underway in New York Harbor, date unknown. Photo from "Jane's All The World's Fighting Ships 1924." Click on photograph for larger image.

Named after the famous American inventor Robert Fulton (1765-1815), the 1,308-ton USS Fulton was a submarine tender that was built by the New London Ship and Engine Company at Groton, Connecticut, and was commissioned on 7 December 1914. The ship was approximately 226 feet long and 35 feet wide, had a top speed of 12 knots, and had a crew of 135 officers and men. Fulton was armed with two 3-inch guns.

After being commissioned, Fulton spent the first six months of her career tending submarines at Norfolk, Virginia Charleston, South Carolina New York City and Newport, Rhode Island. Then, after undergoing an overhaul, she arrived at New London, Connecticut, on 2 November 1915. New London would be Fulton’s primary base of operations until 1922, although during that time she also visited ports along America’s east coast, the Caribbean, and Cuba. Fulton also participated in numerous naval exercises, acted as the station ship at New London, and during the summer of 1922 served as the flagship for the Commander of the Atlantic Submarine Flotillas.

Fulton became a submarine tender at Coco Solo, Panama Canal Zone, on 4 April 1923 and for the next year participated in naval exercises on both sides of the Panama Canal. During that time, she also completed a survey of Almirante Bay, Panama. Fulton returned to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 14 July 1925 and was decommissioned there and placed in reserve on 5 October.

Fulton was re-commissioned on 2 September 1930 and was given the assignment of acting as a survey ship in the Panama Canal Zone. On 29 September 1930, Fulton was re-classified a gunboat and designated PG-49. On 3 March 1931, Fulton returned to Balboa, Panama, but was eventually sent to San Diego, California, arriving there on 13 August 1932. Once in San Diego, she was converted into a gunboat to serve with the US Asiatic Fleet in Hong Kong. Fulton arrived at Hong Kong on 3 November 1932. Although she made occasional trips to the Cavite Navy Yard in the Philippines, Fulton’s primary assignment was to patrol off the southern coast of China, from Hong Kong to Canton. Like all US Navy gunboats at that time, her primary duty was to protect American lives and property in China. But on 14 March 1934, disaster struck when a major fire broke out amidships on board Fulton. Faulty exhaust lines from a diesel engine ignited some oil and the fire spread rapidly. The crew quickly assembled on the bow and the stern of the ship, awaiting rescue. Fortunately, the British destroyer HMS Wishart and the steamer SS Tsinan were able to come alongside the stricken American gunboat and evacuate the crew. Another British destroyer, HMS Whitshed, stood by the burning ship until a salvage party made up of Fulton’s crewmembers could be placed on board the gunboat. Once they were finally transferred back to Fulton, the salvage party managed to bring the fire under control. An American tug towed Fulton to Hong Kong where she received emergency repairs which enabled her to be towed to Cavite. Fulton made it to Cavite but was probably considered not worth salvaging because she was decommissioned on 12 May 1934. After twenty years of service, USS Fulton was sold for scrapping on 6 June 1935.

Fire has been and always will be a major danger on board all ships. Fortunately, the fire that destroyed USS Fulton did not claim any lives.


Watch the video: ΕΡΩΣ ΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΙΑΣ: Η Ελλάδα εν μέσω τρικυμίας στη Μέση Ανατολή και τη Βόρεια Αφρική (January 2022).